Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie needs some recommendations  (Read 494 times)
KS8ZEB

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2010, 06:49:58 PM »

Okay, I won't say money is no object, but I will say I'm not opposed to paying for quality.  That said, I have a Yaesu FTM-350R on the way that will be installed in this:

http://gallery.donniebarnes.com/main.php/v/misc/brute/

I'm thinking the ideal antenna location is probably at the rear corner of the bed on that round tube that wraps around to the bumper.  I really don't want it on top of one of the bed rails.  So I guess I'll need an antenna that I can clamp to a round bar.  I do have some aluminum fabrication skills.  But I have no idea what the best antenna is for me.  Any recommendations?  These don't come with feed line, right?  If not, what should I be looking for there?

I'm planning to do APRS stuff with the radio (one of the reasons for choosing this particular unit).  It's unclear to me from the manual (available as a download from Yaesu's website) if I *have* to have the Yaesu GPS unit (there's an internal or external) or if I can connect another NMEA unit.  I already have a Garmin 376C and it has a NMEA output, so I was hoping to just use that.  Input here is appreciated, but I'm hoping there's more in the box with the radio that talks about this than what's in the manual Yaesu has now.

I do also plan to use it to talk, obviously, as well as crossband repeat, potentially.  I'm an avid mountain biker and may at times need the mobile to crossband repeat for my VX-8DR that I'll carry with me when I bike (both for APRS because it's kind of cool as well as to have in an emergency situation).

For reference, I'm great with computer stuff (and do understand the basics of APRS just fine already) as well as most anything electronic *except* RF.  I've got some very basics, but that's the one area I'm *not* strong with as far as electronic stuff is concerned.

Thanks for any guidance!

--Donnie
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 07:38:29 AM »

The best dual band antenna you can buy is a Larsen NMO2/70BK. If you can't drill a hole, then use an angle bracket. If you go to their web site, you'll see what's available.

You might want to visit the Photo Gallery on my web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: