Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Question about Using a FT-2400H in a Tacoma  (Read 753 times)
W1GVT

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2010, 06:58:58 PM »

Hello,

Just bought my first radio - a used FT-2400H. There doesn't seem to be any decent way to mount it in my Toyota Tacoma so I thought I wouldn't permanently mount it.

I've got a basic question. Is there any problem using the spare power outlet next to the cig lighter to power the rig? I know the best thing to do is run power all the way to the battery but would the temporary solution work OK? Thanks.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 08:39:55 PM »

It's doubtful that the power outlet will provide the current required if trying to use the radio on the high power setting.  You may be able to get away with low or mid power, but you are correct...straight to the battery is best.  I had a FT-2400H in the mid 1990's and it wouldn't run on high power from an Astron RS-12A supply (too small).

The temporary mounting of the radio isn't a good idea in my opinion.  The radio is heavy and will become a projectile with a lot of energy should you have to stop suddenly or be involved in an accident.  Perhaps a more modern rig that is smaller and with a remotable faceplate would be more suitable in your situation.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 07:11:28 AM »

You should never use vehicle wiring for any transceiver. In fact, Toyota recommends direct connections to the battery, just like everyone else does.

As for mounting... You haven't thought about the install long enough. If you go to my web site, and look in the Photo Gallery, you'll see several examples of Tacoma installs.

If you want the best antenna, that would be a Larsen NMO2/70BK. If you're not into drilling holes, then use an angle bracket off of the hood seam.

By the way, there is an extra teat on the main wiring grommet which can be used to pass the wiring through. You'll have to nip off the outside teat, and use a non-metallic probe to pull the wire though. Just don't get into a hurry, and you'll be okay.

KC0LPV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 02:26:28 AM »

I am working on mounting the transceiver body of my Kenwood TM-V7a under the center console storage bin of my 2009 Tacoma.  Some higher-end models have a built-in 110v inverter, and the empty space for that inverter leaves ample, well-ventilated room for a transceiver, and easy access to run power and antenna wires forward to reach the firewall.
KJ6HRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 01:58:57 PM »

I have a 7900r in my taco.  I have the unit mounted under the passengers seat with the wires ran to the battery, and then the face is in the cubby below the ac controls.  Ill try and get some pics up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: