Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What microphones / headsets to match with FT-950  (Read 2607 times)
KB0QH

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2010, 06:07:23 PM »

I recently purchased a new Yaesu FT-950 and was wondering what microphones/headset would best match up with the FT-950.  Would appreciate any feedback.

Mike KB0QH
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 07:24:35 PM »

I have been getting very good reports with the Heil GM-5. I have not used headphone. But I was going to be a headphone set without the mic.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 07:32:44 PM »

A new operator should probably go for a good quality microphone designed for general communications. Most high impedence (500-600 ohm) mics will work if wired and fitted for the Yaesu 8-pin connector. Various microphones and options for some microphones provide for elements with particular audio response for such things as contest work where a narrow response emphasizes the essential information carrying tone ranges of the human voice. This naturally produces a less natural, less pleasing sound. It's not a dramatic advantage, but we tend to spend a lot of effort fiddling for small improvements.

Yaesu of course makes a couple of desk mics. The reasonably priced model is the MD-100A8X. It works fine. The most widely favored manufacturer is Heil. They make a great range of microphones and boomsets and accessories like booms and foot switches, and their website has a convenient selection chart. A number of them are offered with a choice of different response elements or switchable elements. My own preference is for a natural, pleasing voice response for almost all work. For emcomm or similar operating, a more narrow response is appropriate.

With headphones and boomsets, you have options of things like active noise canceling, if you happen to have a noisy operating environment, and some prefer a very lightweight headset. You need not spend a lot of money, and microphones last a long time. Just note the cost of any needed adapter to your Yaesu connector. And note that you need not pay the Heil MSRP. Universal Radio will sell them for substantially less.

So there's no real "best" match. Just buy known quality. And if you buy a good wide-response mic or boomset, you can always later add an equalizer if you get the urge to shape the response for special operations. (Although I think that has reached rather silly proportions today.)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 07:49:08 PM »

500-600 Ohms isn't high impedance, it's low impedance.

But anyway...the FT-950 seems to be reasonably accommodating to many microphones.

My buddy Bill K2OWR in TN just picked up an FT-950 a month ago or so, and is now using a Shure 444 with it, and it sounds excellent on the air.  The 444's been around at least 45 years, I remember them from when I was a kid.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 11:14:39 PM »

There have been a bunch of good reviews (here and on an Elecraft list) for the Yamaha CM-500 headset.  You'll need an adapter; Heil may have one for sale.

The FT-950 has a very sophisticated transmit EQ built-in; most any low-impedance dynamic microphone should be OK.  

Without knowing your voice, and what you want to do, it's hard to recommend anything specific.

Charles
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 06:53:35 AM »

BTW,

Here is a headphone that I started regarding "headphone only" headphones with no mics.

http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers/238719
N0AZZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 10:13:41 AM »

Yaesu MD=200 works very well on my FT-2000/D.

I also use a Heil Proset Plus headset at times it works ok to for DX work.

Fred N0AZZ
DIPOLE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 12:00:49 PM »

Steve did a good article on the subject of microphones in general. Personally, I've tried everything at one time or another, and presently I'm just using hand mics on my rigs for a variety of reasons.

http://www.eham.net/articles/19996
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: