Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PC vs Mac  (Read 1679 times)
W6RLL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2004, 07:32:25 PM »

As reported on here VPC and the software provided by Scott, N3FJP, sounds like a very good
application. Has anyone tried any of the other PC software packages running under VPC?
(WriteLog for example)
I understand that running PC software under VPC will be slower than running the same PC
software on a PC, but it might not make any difference in the actual operation of a contest (?)

Oh Yes...how about RTTY contesting with the MAC?

Thanks from Joe, W6RLL
W4ZLG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2004, 11:59:25 PM »

Speaking of VPC:

MacBidouille Web site claims to have seen a demo of Virtual PC 7.0.
The software was apparently demoed for French resellers by Apple and Microsoft representatives.

New features include: Better support of Peripherals (especially USB), notably faster than previous version, should support dual processor as well as G5 based systems. The most notable new feature however is native support for graphic cards. This will reportedly allow video operations to be handled natively rather than through emulation.

So it might look like we can use any ham windows programs since performance will be vastly improved.  I guess they are saying it will be available in the fall with Office 2004 professional or by itself.

73's de Ken
ON4AXV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2004, 10:06:35 AM »

Good.

Now stop buying and paying for your software.
You can run a lot of Linux Ham Radio apps. on your Mac OS X.(I know : not everything is available yet)
Go to http://fink.sourceforge.net/ or go to
http://www.opendarwin.org/
(fink is easier)  and start with Open Source.
Get X-chat and ask for help on the channels.

The Freedom is right there.
You only have to reach out for it.

Have fun.

73 de on4axv.
N0RKX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2004, 08:42:36 AM »

I hate to interupt this Steve Jobs love fest but a few things need to be corrected.

"So far, I haven't shut down the iMac since I got it. I merely have been putting it to sleep. What a joy it is to just click the mouse and I'm up and running! Can't say that i've heard of many windows machines that can do that. Especially notebooks!"

Then nobody ever showed you how to set the PC up correctly. PC's running Windows have doing "Hibernate" for years, especially notebooks.

The simple fact is that x86 hardware is less expensive with better performance clock for clock. In the "bad old days" Mac did have an advantage with its video and graphics subsystems. Not any more.

"Now stop buying and paying for your software.
You can run a lot of Linux Ham Radio apps. on your Mac OS X.(I know : not everything is available yet)"

I run Linux on my PC. I run Gentoo Linux on my PC. I am not a Linux noob by any stretch. The only reason I've still got anything from M$ in this house is because the Ham Radio software for Linux quite frankly sucks. Great OS, lousy apps for Hams. The Linux Ham radio apps are about where their windows counterparts were 5-10 years ago.
W4ZLG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2004, 05:39:58 AM »

Regarding the hibernation, I had two notebooks.   A Toshiba Tecra, and a Dell Lattitude.   None of them would wake up correctly, especially the Tecra which was running Windows 98SE.  The Dell actually did work for a while, but after installing some of the security updates and service packs, it stopped, and never worked again.   Calling Dell was a waste of time, and said it was a Microsoft issue.  Getting help at the M$oft support site?   How many months do I have to look up this problem on their site?   After trying for two weeks at night trying to fix a simple function, I just gave up.  I'll start it up normally.   The battery life in these machines, even with the right settings, were not it's strong points anyway.

I don't have any problems with PC hardware, as it allows you "customize your situation " very well.   I really like some of the offerings out there. After all, I did keep my crash and burn PC.  I've even managed to network my iMac with the PC and they are working well.   As far as the speed thing goes, clock to clock, I couldn't care less how fast a page comes up or launches an application, as long as the platform is stable.  True..it's not blazing!  A half a second to second slower isn't going to kill me.

And the love fest continues because the iMac so far has been a very stable machine.  It does everything I ask it without giving me grief.  I just purchased a Cannon Digital Camera.   It came with a cd driver disk for windows.   Yep, I put it on the PC, and it took me about 30 minutes to finally import, and save to disk using their not so friendly software.   I plugged in the USB cable to the Mac, turned the camera on, it automatically opened iPhoto, and my same pictures that were still stored on the camera were on my hard drive within two minutes.  No drivers to install.  Can we say that about Windows machines?

I dissagree with your opinion of the video card performance, as the iMac seems to outperform anything I've seen on a PC.   Windows Media Player for Mac, Realplayer, and Quicktime all run better and smoother on this platform.   And there is a direct digital output to the monitor from the video card.  Not analog.  

I've had this iMac now for almost a month.  The bottom line so far is this.   If you want to get something done at home, and you don't want to deal with spyware, malware, daily updates or any other vicious stuff your workplace battles every day with an IT department,  then the iMac is for you.   It's just nice to come home, work on something different, get on the internet, check your email, finish that spreadsheet for work,  and have more time to get on the air and use maclogger dx for controlling the rigs, and logging qso's!
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2004, 12:04:34 AM »

The laptop I'm using right now has Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 Pro, Sun Java Desktop (Linux), and Mac OS X installed.  I prefer OS X.

A few points need to be corrected.  X86 hardware is not comparable in performance to PPCs.  The advertized clock speed on Intel processors is the external clock frequency.  This clock is divided by two to generate the internal 4-phase clock.  The rated clock speed on a PPC is the for the internal clock.  Thus, the 2.5-GHz G5 processor would equivalent to the a 5-GHz 64-bit Pentium--if such a thing existed.  The 866-MHz G4 in the laptop I'm using is equivalent to a 1.73-MHz Intel widget.

However, the CPU speed is rarely the limiting factor in system performance.  Bus speed and I/O are the real bottlenecks.

I routinely do builds of Linux software to run under OS X, usually in X11, and more native OS X software becomes available every week.

While there is a lab demo Trojan Horse for OS X, there are NO OS X-specific viruses, worms, or Trojan Horses in the wild.  The 1.3 Mb of virus definitions I just downloaded from Symantec are all for Microsoft applications not the Mac OS.

Finally, it is simply not true that PC are less expensive than Macs.  By the time you add all the accessories and extra software to make it equivalent to a Mac, a Wintel box will wind up costing more than the Mac.  And support costs (not critical to most home users, but a big deal to those of use who use computer in business) are massively lower on a Mac.  In my business we have found that difference in support costs between a Mac and a PC pays for the Mac in under six months.
WA3D

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2004, 09:17:56 PM »

Glad to hear you went with the Mac.  I have used Mac's for years and have a G-4 at Univ. Just about every task that takes 2-3 steps with a Window machine can be done in one with a Mac. and I have never had a virus.  I have been able to open files that would not open on my colleagues machines.

Unfortunatley I have gone the other way and recently purchased an HP windows machine because my University gives very little if any support for the Mac.  I also became frustrated in finding various software programs written for the Mac in my discipline and hobbies.  
I will miss the Mac!
KC9DFJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2004, 01:35:11 AM »

I just upgraded to a G5 after running a 7500 for 9 years. I guess it was time.

Panther is way different than Sys 9.xx, but I am learning.

I downloaded "Echomac" software for Echolink to try it out. My firewall is giving me trouble.

When I open ports 5198-5200 in the firewall, normal internet activities do not work.

I am not using the OSX firewall, but the firewall that is within an Asante Freindlynet Cable/DSL Router...FR3000 Series.

I am probably doing something wrong. Any Ideas?

Well, since this is a PC vs MAC thread, I have to say that at work I use XP Pro and it seems to work pretty well. There are many improvements over the last version I used. (I think it was NT) I can get around in Windows somewhat, but many things are confusing.

So far, I still like my MAC Sys 9.xx, but that may be because I understand it better.  When I get up to speed on Panther, I may like it better. So far, there are many cool things about it, but we shall see.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: