Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cell Phone Repeater System  (Read 496 times)
WB4WZI

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2010, 10:32:03 AM »

I have a question that was brought to my attention concerning cell phone repeater systems.  Do any of you know of problems of installing a cell phone repeater in a building to bring the signal from the outside inside to cover dead spots within a building?  

We have one in ours that I installed approx 5 years ago and I was told a few minutes ago they are illegal to have.  This system is not carrier specific just to extend the signals in the building for cell phone use.

Any help or FCC rulings would be great.

Thank you for your help.

Lee
WB4WZI
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 01:18:58 PM »

From what I can tell, they're not necessary "legal" but not "illegal," either, there being apparent conflict within the regulations. The wireless carriers obviously want to interpret them as illegal and try to back that up with warnings that they can endanger wireless service. The makers, just as obviously, interpret them as legal and say they design to shut down or reduce power if interference occurs. And what's being sold is FCC accepted. A couple of years ago, an FCC spokesperson gave a reporter the usual "aware of the issue but have made no rulings" line. So far as I can see, it's still like that. The regulations the wireless providers point to are decidedly vague when you try to read them with private boosters in mind. They were written for the wireless providers, and the boosters are low power. Meanwhile, lots of vendors are still selling them.
WB4WZI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 01:43:38 PM »

Thank you for the info.  That was what I had suspected.  I have asked for a written ruling which states that what I have is illegal.  Waiting for a reply.

After doing some inquiring into this I am hearing the wireless carriers are trying to say that if it was not installed by one of their support units then it the system is not legal to operate.  My response has been if I am not doing anything to cause interference to the wireless signals and the system has been installed in accordance with manufacture specs then their should be no problem.

Sounds like to me the wireless companies are getting greedy and want to get a piece of the financial pie.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 12:45:54 PM »

Well, I can understand them being leery of transmitters they don't know much about being aimed at their equipment. But from some of the comments I saw, folks found them little interested in installing booster equipment. Apparently it hasn't been that much of a problem, and everybody's too busy to may much attention to it.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 03:23:54 PM »

Interesting question. Excellent question, in fact.

I see these in a lot of buildings.

I think Bird makes or markets some of these systems.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 01:41:18 PM »

The cellular industry would like them to be carrier (or frequency) specific so they have more control.  They want to install or approve the installation so as to boost their signal and not that of their competitors.  Bi-Directional Amplifiers as they are sometimes called, can often pass a wide band of frequencies.  So, while boosting carrier A's signal, carriers B and C also get a boost.  I think that's fair, especially if the building owner or management is paying for the equipment, not the carrier.  The carriers will always disagree on this I think.

Terry, WØFM
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 04:38:53 PM »

I always thought that these were low enough power to be covered under part15.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: