Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-480 out of band trans mod  (Read 11023 times)
N6ES

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2010, 04:33:35 PM »

Is there a mod that will let me transmit out of the HAM bands?
W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:16:01 AM »

Why would you need to modify an Amateur Radio transceiver to transmit on Non-Amateur Radio frequencies?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 01:45:43 PM »

That's the same question I have.

Illegal use is a good way to lose an amateur license. I can't speak for you, but I value mine too much for that kind of operation.

VK6NDT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 12:48:06 AM »

Lots of people do the "MARS" mod to there ham radio's. why would it be such an issue.

whats that famous saying? those without sin may cast the first stone.

I dont see what the big problem is.

Back to the original question, sorry mate you may not find the right answer here. (some people may be a bit reluctant to give you the information because they feel it is wrong or immoral for some reason) but my suggestion would be dont give up "google'ing" it. Infact if you type in "kenwood ts 480 MARS mod" you WILL find it about the 3rd in the list will be very helpful Smiley Mod away. experimenting is what Ham radio is all about.

N6ES

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 01:02:38 AM »

Good question! The answer is "emergency communications". I will be camping in a remote location that does not have cell phone coverage. Unfortunately there aren't any 2 meter repeaters near by, and HF is unreliable.

We are all old retired folks, and most of us are not in the best of health. The need for emergency medical assistance is always of concern to us.  Most of the campers, including the BLM campground host and a near by military base capable of calling for assistance monitor a CB channel they designated for "emergency communications". The military base can call for medical assistance when needed.  

Believe me, having to use the CB band sickens me, but in an Emergency I will use whatever mode of communications that works. Being on a fixed income and possibly only needing to use the CB band for a couple of weeks, it makes censes to use my TS-480. When I no longer have to count on CB to respond to an emergency, I will restore it to the factory defaults, I will not sell a modified rig. By the way, a ts-480 is not an external amplifier and to the best of my knowledge is not covered under part 97, and if I have to use the CB band in an emergency, I will use less then 5 watts when possible and stay in compliance with the CB regulations. If this information is incorrect, please correct me.

As to fearing the lose my license over this issue, well... I fear forgetting where I put my license more so then the FCC wasting our tax dollars chasing down a modified amateur radio.

§97.403 Safety of life and protection of property.
No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.

N6ES

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 01:26:43 AM »

K0BG wrote: "Illegal use is a good way to lose an amateur license. I can't speak for you, but I value mine too much for that kind of operation."

What illegal use? Modifying an amateur radio is not illegal use. Nor is the ts-480 an external amplifier being modified.

Wouldn't it be nice if some of the good folks out here took the time to read Part 97 before making faults statements.
N6ES

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 01:29:57 AM »

Thanks VK6NDT... mission accomplished.
W6JAK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 07:46:24 AM »

I'm a MARS operator and have done the mod.  It is very tricky.  The chip resistor which must be removed is extremely small and is surface mounted.  Had to use a very strong magnifying glass and a very small soldering iron tip (I don't have SMD repair capability).  If I had to do it again, I would send it in to a repair shop to get it done.  You are at risk of damaging your rig otherwise.  (BTW, a reputable repair shop will require proof that you can legally transmit out of the ham bands)
N6ES

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 12:10:40 AM »

W6JAk wrote: "I'm a MARS operator and have done the mod. It is very tricky. The chip resistor which must be removed is extremely small and is surface mounted. Had to use a very strong magnifying glass and a very small soldering iron tip (I don't have SMD repair capability). If I had to do it again, I would send it in to a repair shop to get it done. You are at risk of damaging your rig otherwise. (BTW, a reputable repair shop will require proof that you can legally transmit out of the ham bands)."

Thanks W6JAK, I know its risky business removing surface mount components, and I've given it a lot of though. I have a strong magnifying glass on a stand and equipped with a fluorescent lamp. I also have a fine tipped adjustable temperature soldering iron,  and not so steady hands. I know that if the procedure is not done right I can end up screwing up my rig. I maybe better off just biting the bullet and purchasing a CB rig. As to a reputable repair shop requiring proof that i can legally transmit out of the ham bands... well one would think it should be the other way around. CB is wide open, unregulated, and does no require a license or any training. As long as I'm not modifying an amplifier to operate between 26 thru 28 megahertz, why should a repair shop care. Now if it was the other way around, then thats a difference story.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 04:35:45 AM »

" Believe me, having to use the CB band sickens me "

Why in the world would you say this? CB just happens to be the BEST form of communications on the open highway. In an instance you know where the blocks are via a network of truckdrivers, you know about traffic jams , wrecks and everything else.

Fist thing I do when I put a new HF rig in my car is open it up for CB , ALL ham radios are designed with it installed already. Does not mean its" OK" to use it , however I would never install a HF in my car with out it.

I have saved myself countless hours of driving by listening on the CB in high traffic areas or calling out and asking for "where" the trouble is.

The TS-480 takes a grand total of about 2 minutes to modify and anyone can do it.
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 06:49:37 AM »

I love that "it sickens me" BS. What a sob story.

That post should have read:

It sickens me that I will have to use my modified $1500 TS-2000 illegally on the CB band, but I dont really care about breaking the law because I think it's ok as it brings about the result I want. Besides, I'm so poor, can't afford the extra $19 that a CB would add to the cost of my camping trip.

Well.....

It sickens me to see the further decline of ham radio as evidenced by posts like yours. Ham radio used to be about doing things right and operating by the rules. Hams used to be pride in maintaining a clean signal and operating within the rules and regulations. Now it's over-run with whackers who don't give a crap about rules and regs as longs as they get to pretend they're going to save the day.

Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
N6ES

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 05:49:42 PM »

I was a CBer back in the sixties and even then things were going down hill. By things I mean the trash mouth crap, and the constant jamming drove us away.

When driving the open roads, I enjoy listening to music or auto book readings, especialy when im pulling our trailer. I need to kick back and relax or its another carinary for me.  GPS gets me where I want to go.  As for the traffic, my xm radio gives me traffic alerts. I only want to have CB capabilities in an emergency, hopefully we won't have to use it.

I hope I haven't offended any CBers out here, for that was not my intention.

N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 02:19:49 AM »

If you have a legitimate reason to wideband the TX, then the manufacturers service center will do the mod for $25-30 plus shipping if you do not want to do it yourself.  If you are MARS, contact your smd for the mod instructions.  Ham radio is supposed to be fun but don't forget, if you do the mod yourself and screw it up, it will cost you a bundle to fix it.  That would be called a learning experience.
NJSIDEBANDER

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 04:47:39 AM »

Another CB bashing post....gotta luv it!
NJSIDEBANDER

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 04:52:34 AM »

N6ES, I have a pdf file of the mod with pics, I can email it to you...
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: