Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help - MS IE 6 Security Patch disabled my sou  (Read 463 times)
W2DSX

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2004, 09:57:21 PM »

Greetings all...

Like a blind sheep I foolishly uploaded MS IE 6 Critical Security Patches that came out recently on two computers running Windows 98.  Both machines no longer have use of soundcards, but both cards do work.  The WIN 98 was current and up to date, NAV 2004 and current AdAware said both comps were clean.  Did the routine - reboot, control panel check for exclamation points and hardware, checked the IRQs for conflicts, all no joy.   Do get error messages such as Unrecognized format, etc...

Was running IZ8BLY, TruTTY, MMsoft, Logger all FB until the upload, now nothing.  Dual port TNC works OK, though.  Best guess is they messed with my registry somehow, something to cause their media program to trump everything else, guess I should've read the EULA, eh?  They of course are of no help.  Anyone with any ideas?  I'd like to uninstall or at least work the registry to at least run a wav file!  Please help, miss the PSK and Hell...   73, jim w2dsx
N0RKX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 08:22:16 AM »

Sounds like the IE patches fubar'd the sound card drivers. Check the manufacturers website for updated drivers. If all else fails you can remove the sound card in control panel, reboot, let windows find it again with plug and pray, reload drivers, etc.... You need to keep IE/Windows patched up so don't un-install the patches.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 08:36:18 AM »

Wow! Several days ago I was one mouse click away from downloading those patches from the Microsoft site, and I decided not to do it. What a shame that Microsoft can get away with turning out such crummy software, and then compound the problem with destructive patches. I guess its past time for me to try an alternative to IE.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 09:58:43 AM »

Does it occur to anyone that MS would like you to get rid of Win9X software and move on up.  After all, the old versions are not generating any revenues.

Dennis / KG4RUL
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 01:42:28 PM »

I have never had any problem after loading the security patches on my Windows 98 machine.
W2DSX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 03:00:24 PM »

I wish to thank all who responded.  I did get it up by deleting all of the sound drivers and then reinstalling.  Apparently, after posting a similar query on the microsoft newsgroups, many other folks running Win 98 experienced similar problems, and it was centered around microsoft disabling any soundcard program except for their Windooze Media Player.  I never used WMP and usually took it right out of my computers, so I had no idea.  The test to find out if this was the case and not another problem was to run cdplayer, and if worked but nothing else did, then it was the microsoft patches.

A normal driver delete routine didn't work, I had to go the extra step of setting the start-up menu to start>run msconfig>advanced button and enable startup menu.  boot to safe mode, then control panel, system, device manager tab.  Open the Sound video & game controllers branch, and delete all devices under it.  This is necessary as you can't normally touch the pre-existing or ghosts of previous drivers.  reboot to normal mode and install sound drivers.

I'm aware of microsoft's stance on using old OS's, but have no choice due to the age and capabilities of these two old laptops.  I use only Win 98 to run the Sproul Bros. WinAprs for ARES events, and other programs, such as the IZ8BLY programs for 'personal consumption' while portable.  I would love to never use windows again, (and to reclaim all of the time wasted dealing with Windooze) but until I can use the window based Ham soundcard programs on another platform, I'm stuck... right?  I don't recommend not using the patches if you use your comp on the internet or email, but be aware of another sneaky microsoft trick.  I did get an MS employee (getting help from MS directly is like pulling teeth) on a newsgroup and explained that I did use my soundcard for something other than playing mp3 files, and he was amused but basically told me I was stuck.

Once again, thanks for the help...  73, Jim w2dsx
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 08:10:13 PM »

<< but until I can use the window based Ham soundcard programs on another platform, I'm stuck... right? >>

Not at all. You can run virtually any Windows software on a Macintosh using Virtual PC. I do it when I absolutely must run some Windows software. It's best to run it on a G4 or G5 machine, but older G3-based Macs will also do it, albeit a little slower.

Fortunately, everything I need, Ham-wise, I have native Mac applications for.

Lon
W2DSX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 11:26:39 PM »

I tried winlink on my xyl's 800 MHz G4, and while I could get the program to work, it couldn't connect or control my ts-570.  I didn't even try anything else after that.  I run winlink for NTS liason for nyc/li, do they have anything like that (Pactor I using FBB protocol with rig control) in Mac OS yet?  As freeware?
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 02:50:09 PM »

Sorry, never messed with WinLink.

Lon
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 09:40:27 AM »

I've read your thread with a lot of interest Jim...  Previously, I too have religiously installed all those Critical Patches from Billy.  After my last Re-Format, I started reading the poop sheet for each.  A lot of it is Greek to me, but one thing keeps coming though ...something like , "...while using Internet Explorer.."

Well,  *I*  use Mozilla's  Firefix 0.8 Browser for everything except my banking, which wont work on that browser. So I have Netscape 7.1 for that.  In otherwords NO I.E........ So, I have not bothered to install all those patches.

I am not sure if I have chosen wisely or not, but at least I tried to do it from an 'informed' position.  What does anybody think of that ??
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: