Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC "POWERLESS"?  (Read 1478 times)
W4KVW

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2010, 08:18:52 AM »

Is it just me or is the FCC "POWERLESS" when it comes to ENFORCEMENT of the rules they have in place.The K1MAN "BROADCAST" on 14.275.00 goes on 24/7 EVERY DAY & has now for SEVERAL months & they have been UNABLE or UNWILLING to SHUT IT DOWN.1st is was a CANADIAN TERRORIST that they said they had NO CONTROL over because he lived in Canada but that is NOT an issue with the K1MAN case.K1MAN should NOT be transmitting at all since his ticket EXPIRED 10/17/05 yet the FCC has NOT been ABLE or WILLING too SHUT HIM DOWN after that long period of time.They worry about someone selling illegal CB radios in a truck stop but will not enforce those who are JAMMING the ham bands when they know WHO THEY ARE & WHERE THEY ARE? I wrote Laura an email & she just says,"We're working on it"! TYPICAL of goverment.They keep sending him letters & he continues too IGNORE them & continue his BROADCAST all the time making the FCC look "POWERLESS" or at least VERY WEAK & lacking ANY or MUCH CONTROL over the airways which they are SUPPOSE TO BE IN CONTROL of.WHAT'S THE DELAY FCC are you really "POWERLESS"Huh

Clayton
W4KVW
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:25:26 AM »

About 12 years ago I figured out how little power the SEC has over fraudulent investments which are certainly a larger national concern than abuse of a radio license. Saved myself a bundle by moving much of my funds out of stocks and into insured bank accounts and NYSE-listed blue chips.  (did get clipped by two bad NYSE bank stocks)

I'm teaching my kids about investments by having them watch some blatantly scammy stocks skyrocket and then collapse. In most cases nothing will happen to the perpetrators.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:38:52 AM »

You are ranting. Do you know you are ranting?

"The Wheels of Justice turn slowly but exceedingly fine." This quote and variations thereof are attributed to several authors.

The person you mention will eventually be ground exceedingly fine by the US government.
N6PJB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 05:38:30 PM »

You really should avoid 14.275 and smoke some pot.  It will lower your blood pressure. That will allow you to live long and prosper.

There are a several things more important than 14.275.
WB0MCO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 11:54:45 AM »

"You really should avoid 14.275 and smoke some pot. It will lower your blood pressure. That will allow you to live long and prosper."

With comments like the one above is why not only is Amateur Radio but the whole governing system out
of control.
It proves that the fluoride put in all are water
systems to "dumb down America" is working.
God help us all!
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 02:34:25 PM »

Why does it bother you so much?

Is the dude splattering all over the band? Using obscene/indecent language? Making threats, slandering, etc.? False distress calls?

Sure, he shouldn't be broadcasting/soliciting money/monopolizing a frequency. That's a given.

But the tone of your post is a bit over-the-top.

Here's my theory:

1) One of the ways FCC enforces the rules is to not renew licenses. What they do is to put the renewal application under "administrative review" - and meanwhile the licensee can continue to operate. The idea is that the FCC has time to gather evidence and the licensee has time to mount a defense.

2) Only when FCC has an air-tight case do they go to court. Losing an enforcement case sets a very bad precedent in their legal eyes, so they let the licensee have quite enough rope...

3) FCC doesn't have lots of resources, despite what you may have heard. They are complaint-driven, too. So the thing to do if it bothers you is to tape-record the violations and send the tapes to FCC, clearly marked with time, date, frequency, etc. I'm not a lawyer, but for some reason recordings mean a lot more to the FCC than reports. Maybe what happens is that they can play a tape in court and ask the defendant, under oath, if it's him on the tape.

I'm not saying it's how things should be. But it's how they are.

73 de Jim, N2EY
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 06:35:28 PM »

"WHAT'S THE DELAY FCC are you really "POWERLESS"Huh

You are confused.

This is eHam.
You sent your rant to the wrong place.
You want the FCC.
That is where you send your rant about the FCC not doing what you want them to do.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 11:02:26 AM »

Mostly we all agree with you.  But WE are the powerless ones.  You might, instead, send your concerns to:

P. Michele Ellison
Chief of the Enforcement Bureau
Federal Communications Commission
445 12th Street, S.W.
Washington, D. C. 20554

Terry, WØFM
N6PJB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 03:59:07 PM »

My points exactly. Mellow out. While enforcement works slowly, you can avoid the idiot on 14.275. Relax and enjoy the hobby.
W0ZD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 06:16:21 AM »

I sent some audio clips to the FCC of an Idiot bragging about selling soiled woman’s underwear and douche bags on EBay. The idiot also gave a detailed description of a woman giving Blow Jobs at a truck stop he frequented. The FCC said it was not obscene and could not do any enforcement under the obscenity laws. The ARRL wants more kids involved in Ham Radio. If I was a parent and heard this type of conversation I would keep my kids out of the hobby.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 11:49:29 AM »

Why does it bother you so much?

Is the dude splattering all over the band? Using obscene/indecent language? Making threats, slandering, etc.? False distress calls?

I'm not familiar with the 20 meter ruckus, as I mostly just listen to the CW traffic.

But I can see how this can get under ones skin. Example: some idiot talks on his cell phone while driving and doesn't realize he is travelling 20 mph under the speed limit and interfering with traffic--not to mention presenting a hazard. Sure, I can patiently drive around him, and even if I used "sign language" he probably wouldn't notice it for the conversation in which he is immersed. It may delay my travel plans minutes or seconds, and no harm is done otherwise, but I find this very annoying.

Same goes for improper use of the bands. Basically, no one likes a jerk, especially a stupid jerk.

If enough hams sent letters to the FCC or whomever about this, maybe something would happen. I can see the potential that 5,000 or even 1,000 cogent letters itemizing times, dates, etc. sent along with tape recordings would have for motivating enforcement.

They have to do something with all that mail, even if it is just to carry it out to the trash. After enough mail, something will happen.

Better yet, get a group together to send faxes. If they are using the traditional* fax machines, it will load up the system and get someones attention.

You know what they say about squeaky wheels.

On the other hand, the tallest nail gets hit with the hammer. Smiley

*Newer fax systems receive the document and store it to a hard drive instead of printing it out, and with multiple DID (direct in dial) rollover systems, it is less likely to cause busy signals.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:53:59 AM by K5END » Logged
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 11:56:47 AM »

I sent some audio clips to the FCC of an Idiot bragging about selling soiled woman’s underwear and douche bags on EBay. The idiot also gave a detailed description of a woman giving Blow Jobs at a truck stop he frequented. The FCC said it was not obscene and could not do any enforcement under the obscenity laws. The ARRL wants more kids involved in Ham Radio. If I was a parent and heard this type of conversation I would keep my kids out of the hobby.

Interesting.

Does material have to fit the definition of "obscene" to be objectionable?

Again, enough complaints and letters may get something done.

What comprises "enough," I can not guess.
N9AVY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 08:06:36 AM »

Follow the lead from others and *avoid* 14275.  K1MAN is looking for attention. If we all ignore him, he'll go away (we hope). Meanwhile, the FCC is accumulating piles of evidence on him and he will have his day in court. As someone said, "the wheels of justice grind slowly".  I would also suggest you avoid some frequencies above 3900 kHz. Keep in mind that the FCC has a lot of other things to deal with and 14275 is just a small pile of doggie doo in the spectrum.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 08:41:31 PM »

K1MAN isn't doing anything the ARRL isn't doing.

Who said that the ARRL is the only entity can just take over a given frequency at a time of their choosing?
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 11:35:51 PM »

Uuuuuuuum.
The FCC?
If you can't discern the diff between K1MAN and W1AW, well, then.........I won't waste time with you.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: