Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meeting ideas for a college club?  (Read 8944 times)
KC0VDN

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2010, 07:40:07 PM »

I am the president of a college radio club in Wisconsin and am having trouble keeping interest in our club. Competing with other student activities has been a challenge with youth already limited in our great hobby, but we've had a small but steady membership. Anyone have any ideas of some club activities to attract interest or appeal to new hams? I'm interested in QRP HF and contesting but not everyone has the same interests within a hobby. We usually host foxhunts and events during contests. Some tried and true events or ideas would be great. Thanks in advance all!

Peter
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 05:37:46 AM »

I understand your difficulty, i have just founded a works radio club!

The first thing you should do is canvass your members! Ask them what they would like in the meetings, and go with the concensus. Perhaps a few 'build-in', making simple but usefull shack accessories? or perhaps get members to do a demo of whatever their favourite aspect of the hobby is, or their own speciallity?

Martin G7MRV

K5END

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 07:44:41 PM »

I would ask individual members to take ownership of specific tasks.

People like to feel like they are not only accepted in an organization, but needed, and appreciated, and can see the result of their efforts.

If they are getting that, they will remain involved.
N7IOH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 04:03:04 PM »

I read a while ago about a club that had their meeting at a restaurant and it was very informal.  They said it was a big hit with the members.  They would have dinner and discuss club activities and such.  Being a college club maybe at a pizza place during a slow time where you can get enough chairs for your group.  

I also belonged to a small ham radio club and we had breakfast every Saturday at 8am.  This was also our meeting if there was anything to discuss.  The club was mostly retired guys and the wives or girlfriends came also.  The restaurant provided a table for the guys and one for the ladies.  There were no regular dues.  If the club needed money for something we just passed a cup around and usually collected enough for what we needed.  Any extra went into the clubs checking account.  The cup was always at the breakfast so you could donate anytime.  More social than a meeting but there was never much club business to discess.  I think some people just get tired of the formal club meetings that last forever and not much gets done.  

Al, n7ioh
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 06:11:39 PM »

Try to find out what the members would like to do. Perhaps have everyone write down a radio subject they would like to learn more about or activity they would like to see done. See what you can do to accomodate every request as a group.

I think the club projects are also a good idea - build simple and inexpensive things (most college kids are on a tight budget!). Start off easy with something that can be built for a few dollars such as an antenna, etc.

If enough of you have radios, you can run a digital net. Again, you can build soundcard to radio interfaces for a few dollars in parts and most sound card modes are only a download away. Since you are all on campus you should be able to work eachother with ease on 2 meters (we've done digital modes with 2m fm radios with pretty good success).
KD4EXS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 08:12:01 PM »

How about ham radio outdoor activities?  Canoeing, hiking, etc.,
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 02:33:11 PM »

College=Beer
How are the refreshments at the meeting?  Grin
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 03:16:29 PM »