Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PC BUG DOCTOR  (Read 841 times)
AE4TR

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2004, 05:58:20 PM »

Greetings All.  Having several problems with my computer, and searching the internet for solutions, I came across an ad for PC BUG DOCTOR that is supposed to check and fix computer with many problems.  I was wondering if anyone on here has used this program??  If so is it worth the price?? I can use it to scan for problems and it found several, but to fix them, you have to purchase a key to unlock it.  Anyone with experience with this product, please advise if it is a good reliable program and is it worth the cost?  Thank you very much.  AE4TR - Ben  
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 06:19:08 PM »

I dunno Ben....I've found the Key to all my 'problems' has always lain in backing up my Valuables to  CD, plopping  in the Restart Floppy and typing in "format c:"

On my XYL's XP machine, the Restore Program has dragged the cookies out of the fire a few times.

I can honestly say *I'd* never buy a program like you mentioned...but...you never know when.......
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 04:04:36 AM »

Unless the program specifically indicates that it corrects the problems that you are experiencing with your PC, and unless the program is highly rated by people who've actually used it, I would stay away.

Google the program to find web sites that rate it or provide user reviews (e.g. epinions.com) and to find comments in Usenet discussion groups.

Dave, AA6YQ
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 06:24:28 PM »

Hi Ben,

What type of problem(s) are you having ?

If the pc ran fine before using the bug dr.
to look for problems, just leave the pc as it is.

If you are using a windows based pc then be sure
to keep your updates current as well as virus updates.

Many times websites install software that tracks the sites you visit on the web.  If you have a lot then that can slow your pc down.  Sometimes called spyware.

http://www.lavasoft.de/   Adaware from Lavasoft

No cost for personal use.

This removes ad/tracking spyware from your pc after you approve of the removal.

One of our clients had a laptop his kid used and it had over 600 spyware on it, the thing was slow as a slug until we removed the spyware.

One last thing, http://www.grc.com

go there and lots to learn how to keep the pc closed up
to other hackers out there on the www.

regards,

james

N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 07:43:54 PM »

James....maybe  YOU can clear something up for me....as well as help our Friend Ben...

I no longer even bother to install all those Critical Windows Updates.  The reason is that when I read the info for each of them, invariably they refer to someway or the other, using Internet Explorer Browser.  Well.... *I* use Mozilla Firefox 0.8, with Netscape 7.1 for one page that wont open with 'Fox.   As such... I see no reason for those patches that cover over holes in The Big Target, I.E.

Whaddaya  think about that?  REASONs...also, not just what you 'think'.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 11:40:05 PM »

Hi William,

I always used the netscape series but now use mozilla at home 100 %.

Now at office I have no choice but to use IE since it is not my machine but the university.

As for the critical patches, one thing to remember is that the internet explorer is builtin to the os, even when you are not using the browser it is still there and runs all the time !  you can check by using the ctrl/alt/del and run Task Manager.  

I run win 2000 pro at home and office but others use the xp (no thanks !).

Now if you are using firewall software (a must if you are on dsl or cable modem) you should be fine.

I am no expert on this topic so if anyone wants to jump in please do so !

73 james
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 11:07:45 AM »

"Bill"... I can't stand the Formal Names of these days!  

Yes, I run Zone Alarm...even though I'm out in the sticks with a Dial-Up connection.  And....I have I.E.  and  O.E.   blocked in the Outgoing 'Wall... which...SHOULD... mean that I have the Monster caged in!

Yeah, my Son-in-Law is forever preaching about the UpDates. The last time I re-formatted it took me a full morning just to get them. Nuts... No more.

Thanks for the info, though...  Good to get input from somebody other than him...

dm
AE4TR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 08:52:25 AM »

>>What type of problem(s) are you having ? <<  I really have no serious problems, just an ocassional freeze up.  I was just wondering if anyone had used the program, and was it worth the cost.  I see it advertised an awful lot, even on some pages here.  If it's a dud, I wonder why eham would run it's ads. I guess money is the answer to that game huh? I did the free scan and supposedly it found some 28 problems, but of course would not fix them without purchasing a "key" to unlock the software.  What a joke. Free huh? Not for me at this time.  No thanks and all that kind of stuff.  ....... BEN......
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004, 09:56:55 AM »

Gotcha... Occassional Freeze-ups seems to be the Norm with '98.....   I have only seen the XP machine do it once.

Oh, a lot of the 'utility tools' out there seems to be directed towards people in between 'appliance operators', and 'hams'...  Enough courage to try something, but not enough whiz to dig and learn.  So, they are likely 'OK' for those folks.  Maybe there  IS a better way than typing in Format C:......   I had one where is was running around just making it worse....{stay away from the  RegEdit Icon}....

Have fun Ben...
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 07:07:05 PM »

Hi Ben,

If you are having a lockup when browsing then try to clear out the cache in internet explorer.  Sometimes the cache gets junk or corrupted files and hangs when you try to visit a website.

Try to run scandisk at least once a month.

At least every six months run defragment on the c: dirve.

Sometimes ad and spyware that gets installed on your pc without your approval can slow you down too.

Check out the links in my earlier post, even if you don't use the product the info there is of great value !

73 james
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 11:17:08 PM »

JUST AS A POINT OF INTEREST, ALOT OF PROBLEMS CAN BE AVOIDED BY ELIMINATING SPYWARE.
I HAVE FOUND THAT "SPYWARE BLASTER" WORKS EXCELLENT WITH INTERNET EXPLORER AND MOZILLA.
AD AWARE 6.0 WORKS GREAT TO CATCH THE FEW THAT GET BY.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: