Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brag: My 7YO son just passed his General ticket!  (Read 90509 times)
KC7LFB

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2010, 09:35:44 PM »

My son, K2CLH, just passed his General exam this evening. He passed his Technician ticket the day after his seventh birthday - less than a year ago - and tonight he managed to get his General before turning eight years old next month.

We're very proud of him and wanted to share with the ham community.

Thanks!

Richard/K2RLH
Proud Daddy of Christopher/K2CLH (AG)
KF7CSO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:47:32 AM »

Wow, that was a great job!

Eric
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »

Excellent!
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 07:56:08 PM »

OUTSTANDING!

Look forward to having the pleasure of working him on HF soon. Wish my son would take the test!

73!
KC7LFB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 11:35:58 AM »

Update:

He built an inverted V for 20 meters and we put it up oriented N-S (so the major lobes would be E-W). His first two HF contacts were in San Diego on 14.238, which is close to directly south of us, so the inverted V is still giving good performance in its "minor axes". This morning he made contacts in Kansas and Wisconsin, so it's working to the east as well.

This is with 100 watts out of an FT-857D through 70 feet of LMR-240.

He's started a log book and the great folks on 14.238 have been really helpful and friendly. He's hoping to find some other frequencies and explore the limits of his first antenna.

Having lots of fun here!
W7KB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 07:22:55 AM »

At the rate he is going,he should have his Amateur Extra license by next year!...Congratulations!..W7KB.
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 08:33:18 AM »

FANTASTIC,

Please pass on my congratulations to your son.  That is an amazing accomplishment for someone so young.  
I hope he has many years of enjoyment as a result of his hard work....

Greg
KG6YV
M0FRH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 05:23:14 AM »

Well done to your Son and all concerned with his education.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 04:27:20 PM »

My son, K2CLH, just passed his General exam this evening. He passed his Technician ticket the day after his seventh birthday - less than a year ago - and tonight he managed to get his General before turning eight years old next month.

We're very proud of him and wanted to share with the ham community.

Thanks!

Richard/K2RLH
Proud Daddy of Christopher/K2CLH (AG)

Congrats on passing his General.
Considering the fact not everyone passes the first time, or with 100% it is an accomplishment worth celebrating and being proud of.

Being able to spend some time in front of a radio instead all of the time in front of a Wii...now that's something worth celebrating too.. Having options and the ability to exercise them is what life is all about.
Kinda like the "ignore" button on eham or the notch filter on a rig. Great options to have available Smiley

Dimitri
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 10:38:47 PM »

I am very impressed.
NX3P

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 04:25:07 PM »

Congratulations to your son on his General class license.  I think it is great what these young and motivated kids can do.  With the aging of the ham radio community, I am always glad to hear that we are getting some "young" new blood.

I am also the parent of a young ham and I share your joy.  Our country seems to be falling in ranking in the education system for math and science, as well as geography.  Amateur Radio is a good answer to helping to address these issues.  My daughter just completed her ARRL W.A.S.  How many kids in the general population have had the opportunity to speak with and get a memento from each of the 50 states.  We need to do everything in our power in the ham community to open up to these young people.  They have the advantage of not having a bunch of bad habits to overcome and are trainable to become the ace operators of tomorrow.

To the gentleman who said this young person is not a ham. Well according to the F.C.C., he is.  Did he most likely use the question pools that are available?  Most likely, but so do the adults.  Did he have to learn the code like some of us old timers for his ticket?  No.  He did pass the exams and most likely will be a new Extra in a couple of months.  A lot of adults lack the determination to use the same question pools.  We as a fraternity need to lighten up.  

Congratulations again on a job well done.  I'd love to work your son, as I am sure my daughter would as well.

73 Stan NX3P
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 09:08:55 PM »

Hello Stan  NX3P,

I had been curious as to how your daughter was doing in her WAS race.  After me, I heard she still had ND maybe?

Glad to hear that she finally got it,

Brad
KJ4IDH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 08:13:02 AM »

Congratulations to both of you!
I look forward to hearing him on the air. As the father of a 12 year old ham I understand your feelings 100%.
Make sure, as I am sure you already have, that he knows that the world is full of people that are scared of youngsters gaining the up hand. They have the world by the horns and can accomplish so much more than when “we” were young.
I extend my hand and offer any assistance or encouragement that he may need and promise to never tell him to “get off the grass”.
KC7LFB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 10:19:58 AM »

>>Congratulations to both of you! I look forward to hearing him on the air. As the father of a 12 year old ham I understand your feelings 100%.<<

Thanks, and congrats to you too on having such a young ham. Mine just made his first overseas contact - to Japan - a few days ago. He's excited to be working folks ~4500 miles away with 100 watts and a few dollars of 12 gauge wire made into an inverted V.

Everyone on the air is being extra supportive of him, too, which is what I told him would happen if he got into the hobby. Too bad that's not true of some on this website, but they're just proving the old adage: "No one is completely worthless. Such people can always serve as a bad example."

Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement!
KD6DXA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 07:55:49 AM »

As a former young ham myself, my sincerest congratulations!  I wouldn't have stayed in the hobby a week without the help and support of old timers who treated me like an equal and who were always willing to lend me a helping hand.  And here I am nearly 20 years later, still going strong.  Don't let the jerkiness of the naysayers in this thread deter your son from the hobby he loves!  Remember, this hobby is about increasing knowledge, and we all had to start somewhere!  Best of luck, and happy hamming!

Zachary KD6DXA
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: