Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upright Radio Design  (Read 521 times)
NG0K

Ignore
« on: January 09, 2010, 07:41:33 AM »

Just a fun question to ponder....I was surfing the internet and looking at older SWL rigs from the 70's.  Stuff like the Panasonic RF-2200/2800/2900 series. It led me to wonder why ham tranceivers aren't or weren't available in the larger upright portable designs with front firing speakers and lots of room for knobs and buttons.  They don't take up depth on your desk and it seems to me, would be very ergonomic.  Does anyone have any insight or opinion as to why?

73, Doug

73, Doug - NG0K
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 05:05:56 PM »

My guess is because the chokes and xformers are heavy.  therefor they will be on the bottom.  Heat from the xformer rises, so if you use the space above it, it will be heated.  Plus, what ever you put above it will have to be past the xformer's height,

Inputs low cause who wants to have to install coax high; same for output--who wants stiff coax high?

Meter at eye level; easier to have the cariable caps near the meter.

I thought about building a vertical CW xmitter, but figured I really didn't want the tubes horizontal, and didn't want to have the tubes vertical and run wires from one section to the other--much easier to use short wire connections between tubes than it is to stack tubes and run wires to them.

Bob
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 05:07:40 PM »

I can think of one reason. Harvey-Wells went out of business years ago. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know why. Just look at the old Bandmaster photos: www.rigpix.com

KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 05:55:59 PM »

I always thought it would be great to have a rig built like a Wurlitzer, neon tubes and all.  Instead of push to talk, you'd just put a coin in the slot.
Oh well

Allen
NG0K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 05:59:35 PM »

Yeah, the internal board layouts certainly would be a challenge.  Makes sense.

73, Doug - NG0K
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 01:29:45 PM »

Upright is ergonomic? Maybe not. Having the controls near the table top (where hands tend to hang out) is more ergonomic.

If by ergonomc you mean having the controls and display near the head then yes an upright radio is more ergonomic. In that case place your radio on a stand.

Is the opposite of an upright radio a downright radio?
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 09:27:02 AM »

Because there's a lot more stuff in them.

73 de Jim, N2EY
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 10:07:41 AM »

Start a trend. Steampunk your transceiver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: