Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good mobile amp for semi?  (Read 909 times)
K0LTD

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2003, 11:52:28 PM »

I want to add a very good amp to my YAESU 857  in my semi. What are some GOOD amps that have auto band switching? would like to run 75-10 m. Plan on buying the HI-Q ant.,also.
KC8TLF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2003, 03:59:02 PM »

I know the Henry has a setup for instant bandswitching, other than that I'd check here on eham in the amplifier section. There are a few others, but you have to manually switch the bands. I have seen the Ten Tec had some kind of bandswitch that interfaces with the radio and amplifier. I'm guessing you could rig something up with the radio to switch bands for you.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2003, 10:12:40 PM »

some times on ebay you see the RM amps in the 500 and 400 watts version.  these will work 80 -10 but better on 40 - 10.  open the case it just slides off,  and put the jumper on pins 1&2.  it is that broad banded.  It gives a clean output if you dont over drive it  ( 12 to 20 watts input on ssb  max.  ) these are the red or black amps that look like a face plate and all heat sink.  Not the square boxy type like the klm.  they rf autosense, which is why I use one mobile behind my ft-840.  the 840 won't key an amp , no rly  so I tried one of the black ones ( I think its a klv 500) which puts out 600 watts pep.amd has a 6 position power switch.  they should sell new for around $250 or so.  hope this helps..
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2003, 10:32:12 PM »

it is a kl-400 or a kl-500 either on.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 11:51:25 AM »

I wouldn't buy or use any amplifier not FCC certificated for use -- and, technically, it's illegal to sell any in this country.  That limits the field a great deal.  The SGC Power Cube runs 500W and is auto-everything, might be a good deal.  If you don't mind reaching for a bandswitch, the Ameritron ALS-500 works well.  These are both certificated for sale in America...not much else is.

WB2WIK/6
KC8TLF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 07:42:43 PM »

Legal amplifiers have to have a switch and meet requirements for spectral purity that I know the KlM, which is basically a cb amplifier, wouldn't meet. There is a reason the cube amplifier, als 600, and the Henry cost more. If they could make a no frills amplifier dirt cheap that meets fcc requirements, I'm sure they would.
KB9YKY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2003, 01:16:38 PM »

Why does a technician class operator need a hf amplifier in his semi?
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2003, 06:35:53 PM »

A Tech class operator wouldn't need a HF amp.  But he's a General.(according to the FCC database...)  Cheap shots are just that: cheap shots.

Congratulations on your upgrade, Dave!
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2003, 04:34:27 PM »

Don't forget the old Metron.  (NOT an Ameritron)  You can find these occasionally.  Bulletproof.  They can be bandswitched remotely, too.
KE4ZHN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2003, 06:52:34 PM »

Your choices of good amps is a bit limited these days. You can go with the SGC power cube, which is a sweet amp thats all automatic and protected,(500w) but pricey. Theres the Ameritron 600 watt mobile amp, which is a nice amp and is rugged but isnt fully automatic. You can go with an old Metron if you can find one, a very nice KW mobile amp but scarce. Or, you can plunk down big bucks and buy the Henry SS 750 which is a beast! I know someone who runs one of these mobile, and he is ALWAYS very strong no matter where he is and runs this into a Tarheel on 75 mtrs. Excellent amp, but its pricey! The SS750 will do 1KW full out in the mobile with 100 watts drive on a Bird 43 meter. But it also requires 130 amps of juice to operate it, and running mobile in a semi, Im not sure you could get this much power available without mods to your truck. Bang for your buck, you cant beat the ameritron. It will give 500 easy watts, and is a solid little amp and wont cost you a left arm. Plus, it doesnt draw over a hundred amps to operate it! I believe Ameritron makes a remote kit for it to allow you to bandswitch and turn it on and off remotely too. Very important in a truck! You cant be fooling around with an amp and shifting 13 gears at the same time! If you can find one, try to grab a Skywalker. These were made by a ham for mobile use, but he unfortunatly got shut down because he didnt sell "type accepted" amps. These are NOT junk unfiltered CB amps, but are in fact very well made amateur amps and are quite high quality. You can get one pretty reasonable if you can locate one. Im not sure as to its remote capability, but its a real sweet amp and they sound great on the air. Good luck in your search.
KG4PFO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2003, 11:44:59 PM »

YKY only throws cheap shots......I read alot of post here,and that is all YKY does is blast,bash and take cheap shots and such.......Its a shame,99.9% of the folks here are to the point and a pleasure to read the replies, tons of knowledge is swapped ......and that is what its all about.
Im sure I will get bashed for this reply...but thats fine....I know there are many many good people here and I'll not let one bad apple ruin the day .

73's
David
KG4PFO
K3MOV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2003, 05:23:10 PM »

I recently purchased the combination of the ALS 600 and the LDG AT 1000 tuner which, in essence, gives me a fully automatic solid state rig when driven by my 756 PRO.  Works great so far.
K3MOV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2003, 05:43:21 PM »

Sorry, I just noticed you are looking for a MOBILE amp.
WB5WPA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 07:41:16 AM »

> some times on ebay you see the RM amps
> in the 500 and 400 watts version.

One has to wonder just what kind magic is used in
these amps to achieve their purported performance.

For instance, let's consider the physics involved in
the following model.

According to the ad I saw in eBay, the KL-400 is
supplied with 2 - 12 Amp fuses. If one of two fuses
doesn't 'hog' current and blow, the maximum current
that can be continuosly supplied, would be - 24 Amps!

What does that give us for DC input power into the
amplifier - anything near 400 Watts*?

To quote Al Borland: "I don't think so Tim."

Jim  // WB5WPA //

*The 1st pass on the math results in:

12.6 V * 24 A = 302 Watts, 70% efficiency => 211 Watts out max

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: