Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disaster strikes. What would you want on hand?  (Read 40125 times)
N0SYX

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2011, 02:30:31 PM »

If the flesh-eating zombies attack I think I could hold them off for a bit.  If Skynet sends in the Terminators however,  I'm pretty sure I'm screwed.

We are always well stocked in canned goods.  We're all weather, year around campers so we're pretty well equipped there.  We are also hunters/fishers, so we could have a bambi roasting out back without too much trouble.

I gotta say I'm impressed by some of the responses in this thread.  Making sure the car is gassed up every night.  Radiation pills.  Spare radios in emp proof cases.   That's planning. 

I was happier in my ignorance.

KF5GWN

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2011, 03:42:45 PM »

I would want nothing more than will be given to me at the FEMA shelter.  I have nothing as far as food, medical supplies, weapons, or ammo.  And even if I did I would have no idea how to use any of that stuff.  So I would be first in line at the shelter and it would be a waste of time for any looters to come to my house.
That's my story and I am sticking to it.  Roll Eyes
AE6ZW

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2011, 02:43:26 AM »

in earth quake in japan, those are things they needed in following order 1-- drinking water , need to store enough drinking water,  2-- fuel for car, either keep it full or possibly store some,  3--food.   other than that, large amount of water to flush toilet such as swimming pool water, toilet paper, wet paper towel, plastic wrap , wrap plastic wrap over normal plate before use and throw away plastic wrap after use, not need to wash.   other things community should have -- engine driven water pump in case fire broke out in neighbourhood, use water source like swimming pool, after taking care of self first , then radio to help others can be done.  solar cell to charge cell phone, charger for NIMH battery, for flash light, AM radio, bunch of alkaline batteries,
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2011, 11:28:31 AM »

One item about storing gasoline:

Most jurisdictions have regulations that prohibit a homeowner from having more than 5 gallons of gas on their property.  The fuel IN a vehicles fuel tanks, or IN the generator tank or IN the lawnmower does not count.  While you are not likely to ever have a problem, in THEORY, your fire insurance could give you a hard time if you had a fire and they discovered that you had a 55 gal drum of gasoline stored next to the house.

FWIW, MY idea was to buy a very old, but still running Chevy Suburban with the full compliment of auxillary fuel tanks, which amounts to something on the order of 50 gallons, stock it with stabilized fuel and emergency supplies, put a solar trickle charger on the battery and park it in the driveway.  If you need to get away, you have the vehicle already loaded to go, if you stay at home, you have 10 tanks of generator fuel on board the Chevy...

I just don't waste my time on SHTF planning, there's no way to be prepared for every emergency, I have stuff but I'm not sitting with a checklist in my panic room polishing my ammoe.

W3JKS

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2011, 12:18:18 PM »

One item about storing gasoline:

Most jurisdictions have regulations that prohibit a homeowner from having more than 5 gallons of gas on their property. 

For good reason.  We had a homeowner storing gasoline in a 275-gal oil tank on the end of his driveway (during the days of gas rationing).  One night it mysteriously sprang a leak and caught fire. 

Yikes.  We could see the glow from the firehouse...  Shocked 

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2011, 12:25:19 PM »

First time I ever heard of a limit of gas in cans. (I do live in a rural area) I usually have 10 to 15 gallons on hand in cans. 5 gallons is just for generator reserve and rest is for mower and tractor. Mower holds 12 gallons (very big mower) and tractor holds 9 so hence why I keep a extra 5 to 10 gallons beyond the gas set aside for generator. I keep generator empty and rotate out gas set aside for it every month or two into mowers or cars so it is fresh and changes blend with seasons. I use up to 5 gallons of gas every time I mow if I mow all 8 acres so gas does not go stale here.    

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2011, 02:54:32 PM »

I could well be wrong, but I am pretty sure the five-gallon limit is an NFPA limitation. I haven't lived in a city yet that didn't have the limitation. My office in Baltimore got a verbal warning (and a polite chewing out) from the Fire Department when someone noticed a liquid seeping under an overhead garage door. A gas can has sprung a leak. When the Fire Department inspected the garage, we were required to remove three of the four five-gallon cans immediately.

The folks from the FD were very nice, but also very insistent that it never happen again.

In that same vein, for all you handloaders/reloaders, there is a NFPA limit on the amount of powder and primers one can have in a residence and storage requirements for the same.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2011, 09:15:20 PM »

The quality of modern cans with safety nozzles on then do not seal as tightly as some older designs either. I have some old poly-plastic cans of Canadian origin that I got over 20 years ago that are incredibly tuff.  Very thick walled and they do not leak fluid or vapor. The nozzle inverts and stores completely inside them too. I wish I had bought a few more of them back then as they would have been nice spares to have around today. I have a friend that lives in city and keeps 4 "jerry" cans in garage filled all the time.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2011, 06:17:07 AM »

I have a friend that lives in city and keeps 4 "jerry" cans in garage filled all the time.

If he ever has a fire that can be traced to the gasoline, he's probably be up a creek trying to get the insurance to pay off.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2011, 07:30:35 AM »

I have a friend that lives in city and keeps 4 "jerry" cans in garage filled all the time.

If he ever has a fire that can be traced to the gasoline, he's probably be up a creek trying to get the insurance to pay off.

Your are likely right especially since he has no plausible need for gas otherwise. I have a few extra "cans" and could have more on reserve but I see no point in it. Other than a 5 gallon reserve for generator I only keep on hand what I know I will use in mower or tractor in next week or two.

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2011, 08:11:36 AM »

You guys that live in the boonies can get away with stuff us city folks can't. <gg>

KF7GFL

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2011, 10:49:07 AM »

Why store gas in containers and not in the tank of your car? The fire department never lets their truck get below a certain amount (3/4 of a tank if I remember correctly). I never let my cars get below a quarter of a tank. Assuming all three of them are at a quarter (I have teenagers who share the 3rd car), I still have about 11 gallons of gas that I can use to fuel my generator. Throw in the 5 gallon can that I use for the lawnmower and always keep full, and I can go for a while.

If you do plan to use your car's gas in an emergency, you probably will want to have experience getting gas out of the tank. Siphoning seems easy in the movies, but doesn't work so well in real life unless the tank is completely full. Even then, it only allows you to empty some of the tank. When you get to the bottom quarter tank, it becomes necessary to drop the tank to get the remaining gas out. This is something I have had to do on my Jeep to fix a leaky seal and really is much easier than it sounds. Just make sure you know how to do it long before it is an emergency.

Matt - KF7GFL
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2011, 12:41:37 PM »

You guys that live in the boonies can get away with stuff us city folks can't. <gg>

We are counting on you city folk being the dinner for the inner city cannibals in the postapocalyptic dystopia to come.

Cheesy

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2011, 02:59:16 PM »

We are counting on you city folk being the dinner for the inner city cannibals in the postapocalyptic dystopia to come.

Cheesy

The only "dinner" I'll serve comes with a very heavy load of lead! Smiley

K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2011, 10:19:11 AM »

Be sure to check in at SurvivalBlog.com frequenty for lots of great tips. This site is about to celebrate 30 MILLION unique visits!
(The owner of that site is the author of "How to Survive the End of the World as We Know it, And "Patroits" Both great books to read.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0452295831?ie=UTF8&tag=survivalcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0452295831

http://www.survivalblog.com/

__._,_.___
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: