Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Shack Rumor.  (Read 533 times)
KJ4QLJ

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2009, 04:29:33 PM »

Has any one heard a rumor floating about "the shack" bringing out three new amateur rigs? I heard sum talk on a local net about such a thing. Any one else have any news about this?
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 09:20:24 AM »

I hope that it is true.  It would be nice to see Radio Shack get back into the business of selling some amateur gear.  Hopefully they will have a new 10 meter rig on the market by the time the sunspots come back around.  One can only hope.

KU4UV
KA4AAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 11:20:03 AM »

I don't know if they're getting back in the amateur radio business -- but my local one (and it is a very small one) recently expanded their antenna/scanner/CB/antenna connector section greatly in the last month.  From a small 6' high by 3' wide section -- to three times that amount.  All in a month.

Most was coax, and the rest empty.  The lackey there didn't know HAM from eggs and just said they're "expanding our radio section".
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 05:29:39 PM »

I also heard a while back that they will phase out the "radio" part of their name and be known only as the "Shack".
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 10:53:14 AM »

"shack" bringing out three new amateur rigs?"

ridiculous, if you're talking about a national roll-out.  

does RS still offer those small town "dealer" stores? One owned by a ham might do that. Years ago some combined 'shack' stuff with their own products of all sorts.

I bought my TRS80 Model II from a dealer in Texas in the late 70s who heavily discounted Radio Shack computers. He did a ton of business worldwide until he was found with both legs broken, around 1980 (just kidding about the legs part LOL!
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 03:11:56 PM »

"I don't know if they're getting back in the amateur radio business -- but my local one (and it is a very small one) recently expanded their antenna/scanner/CB/antenna connector section greatly in the last month."

If I were to guess, I'd say they are clearing out their remaining radio inventory, then it will probably disappear entirely.
WI5O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 07:53:45 PM »

I loved the Uniden President 2510 when propagation was great back in the early 1990s.  I worked many stations mobile, both SSB and CW with just 25 watts.  I have a Radio Shack Ten Meter rig and I'm hoping for propagation soon too!  I heard rumors months ago but no one at local Radio Shacks knows anything about new radios.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 11:02:56 PM »

Nope. My radio Shack is gradually getting rid of all the parts, radio, scanners, CBs, and TV stuff. The 20 and 30 year old something hipsters that are now working there are only concerned about selling cell phones.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: