Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contact CNN, local news, and White House on Haiti!  (Read 3579 times)
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 04:34:42 PM »

There's a certain bunch of us amateurs who flaunt their go boxes (I'm not one of them), and their ability to use them correctly in a time of disaster. I have no quarrel with that picture. However...

If these same folks are like the ones I've been hearing on the various nets supposedly helping (?) with the disaster relief, I think we're all in for a big shock if something like the earthquake in Haiti happens here in America.

Aside from the aforementioned errors, I don't think I have heard that many QSL-QSL-QSL, and Roger That's in my whole life! I think we all should take a lesson or two from George Orwell. He said: Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent. Indeed!

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 05:26:58 PM »

BG "I don't think I have heard that many QSL-QSL-QSL, and Roger"

One guy kept referring to "MILLAIR."  What was that I wondered, and so did the Salvation Army net controller.

A couple of confused exchanges later we learned that Millair (mil-air ?) means "military air,"  as in "Military Air Support."

Oh!
Roger That!
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 06:18:12 PM »

"Any frequency may be used without a license in an emergency"  -- That may be true in THIS country, but not so true elsewhere.  US law doesn't work down there.

The Tampere Convention on Emergency Telecommunications (2006), of which Haiti is a signatory nation, provides for the party nations to implement immunities from criminal actions and other sanctions in the event that the nation has requested telecommunications assistance, which Haiti has in this instance. The Convention and its associated resolutions recognize that the communications authorities may well be out of commission in a disaster. It protects the ownership of equipment brought in to render assistance and provides for the host nation to terminate the invocation of the Convention when they judge the emergency has sufficiently abated, which in this case would require the government to actually begin to function again. It provides a wide array of measures, from removal of regulatory barriers to acceptance of foreign type acceptance of equipment.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »

I'm helping the Haitian relief efforts right now by staying out of the way.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 06:31:42 PM »

I should have added, I'm also helping by sending some money...there was a campaign on local radio stations about using a cell phone (in my case, Verizon) to text "HAITI" and then just punching in how much you would donate to the cause.

It's very legit, and I donated.  Hopefully a few million others will, too.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 07:44:07 PM »

Text 'HAITI' to 90999: This service was set up by the U.S. State Department.
Texting "HAITI" to the number will donate $10 to the International Red Cross,
and will appear as a charge on your wireless bill.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 07:47:10 PM »

One of the largest problems with rescue efforts is there is no longer any infrastructure in Haiti. The solution is to send aircraft carriers to the island.

•   Our carriers have three hospitals on board that can treat several hundred people per day.

•   They are nuclear powered and can supply emergency electrical power to shore facilities. As much as one million watts of power.

•   They have three cafeterias with the capacity to feed 5,000 people three meals a day.  

•   They have as much as 3000 personnel that can help in search and rescue.

•   The carrier can provide wide area communication to the outside world.

•   They can produce several thousand gallons of fresh water from sea water each day.

•   They carry half a dozen helicopters for use in transporting victims and injured to and from their flight deck.  

•   They can stay on station indefinably.

•   Bush sent carriers to Sumatra-Andaman for their earth quake in 2004. We have eleven such ships.

Where are the carriers?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 07:53:43 PM »

Jeff, I went out to dinner with friends this evening. One of the subjects was the role of amateurs in Haiti. Afterwards, we sat in my Ridgeline, and listened on 75 meters. Lord save us! The only euphemism I can use on a family site is; it's a CF!

It is times like these, that I take Steve's suggestion, and just stand back, watch, and mostly tune off!

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »

"BG "I don't think I have heard that many QSL-QSL-QSL, and Roger"

Alan, consider the nearly universal use by the nets of the stilted phrase "the affected area" as a synonym for Haiti.

Nets are working better now. Net controls are loud on 3977.7 right now. The frequency is crystal clear. But pity the Haitian who may have little command of English if he has to figure out what "the affected area" means.

There seems to be zero appreciation by the net ops that Haiti is a French speaking country.
WD8T

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 10:41:44 PM »

Text 'HAITI' to 90999: This service was set up by the U.S. State Department.
Texting "HAITI" to the number will donate $10 to the International Red Cross,
and will appear as a charge on your wireless bill.

Sure..the Red Cross will rake in millions from this disaster.  Their executives will get bonuses and the people of Haiti will get surplus military wool blankets and coffee.
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 05:09:47 AM »

I can't believe anyone would bust on the Red Cross. The United Way probably deserves it, but not the Red Cross!

I agree with some others, stay out of the way unless asked. Give money. Money makes things happen.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 06:04:41 AM »

I have heard of this problem by the net controls on 14.265. There is a good possibility that the hams are either dead, or their homes and gear are destroyed. Satern was trying to mobilize some volunteer to get down there.
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 07:34:24 AM »

As usual, Steve WB2WIK had the right answer.

Stay out of the way. The best thing the we can do is to donate cash if you have the ability.

Or... Just tune in to the various nets and just listen. If you are needed, they'll ask for volunteers.

73 Gary
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 12:47:40 PM »

Ditto!
W5AOX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 02:43:29 PM »

You gotta be kidding about the Red Cross being above reproach.  They get in trouble almost every time they make a move.  They are another bloated bureaucracy and often heavy handed, and have been proven corrupt at least as far back as WWII.  They try to cultivate a squeaky clean image, but they made the news for corruption during Katrina as well......
Catholic Relief Services is a very well known and respected agency that gets the MAXIMUM percentage of your donation to its INTENDED RECIPIENT.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Relief_Services
And I am no catholic.....
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: