Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: where do you hang your microphone  (Read 909 times)
N1VQM

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2009, 06:26:56 AM »

Just curious what everyone is doing. I have done nice mobile installs and spend a lot of time deciding where and how to mount the control head or radio. Frankly I never give it much thought on where to mount or store the microphone so in all my installs it ends up lying in the cup holder or in the center console. I have tried the mic holder years ago but remember that over time the little screws or double sided take always came loose and again it ended up in the ashtray.

Any suggestion on a good microphone mount?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 09:31:22 AM »

On a hook screwed to the center console.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 10:06:48 AM »

I have a Yaesu radio which has a button on the back of the hand mike that fits on a three pronged hanger bracket.  I bent the bottom of that bracket so that I could push it up under the top panel of my center console and hook it over the edge of the structure.  So, I have a secure mike bracket with no holes needed.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 12:02:04 PM »

Could try the magnetic clip that can stay with the mic and slap it on the side of the radio or mount. My TS-50 mic has the loop on the top and hangs okay on one of those suction cup kitchen hooks. Or it did until I got a Heil Traveler headset. (It hangs on the mirror.)
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 02:04:44 PM »

I think Alan recommends "vel-cro" for everything except the antennas.

For those he recommends magnetic  mounts.

Isn't that correct, Alan?

<just kidding!!!!!>

Seriously, Alan 'preaches' that everything should be mounted very securely lest your gear become a volley of deadly projectiles.

Sign me up as a deacon. I agree with that point of view 100%.

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 07:36:01 PM »

Wherever I damn well please.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 11:47:59 PM »

Wherever I damn well please.

Absolutely.

I like the way you think.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 05:08:37 PM »

I use mike hooks and mount them where I can reach them from the driver's seat and they will be secure.

Lots of dashboard space in every vehicle I own, so this isn't difficult.
KE7RFL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 03:51:18 PM »

1. Bungee cord attached to the rear-view mirror. If you have a road emergency and have to drop the mic.. the bungee cord snaps it back out of the way. Truckers have been using the system for years. (If you become disoriented driving in heavy snow or fog and you see the mic laying on the cab roof... you'll know you're driving in an inverted position. That's another benefit of this system.)
2. Draped around the neck. If your cord is long enough (no pun intended), this method works pretty well. It's a good alternate with method #3.
3. Tucked into your shirt/jacket pocket.
4. Between your legs. (Works only if you're not wearing a skirt/kilt).
5. On the floor.
6. Between the seat and the console.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 05:28:41 PM »

"1. Bungee cord attached to the rear-view mirror. If you have a road emergency and have to drop the mic.. the bungee cord snaps it back out of the way. Truckers have been using the system for years."

2.  If you have an accident on the road, expect the mic to whip into your face causing damage to mouth, teeth, lips and eyes.  Dental Surgeons have been making money due to this for years...
KC5CQW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »

I used the three prong mount that came with my FT-857D and also used some 3M double sided tape for redundancy. It is mounted to the right of the steering wheel on an open dash space. It is a very solid and safe mounting for my style truck. Never have an idle mic just sitting around. Put it in a very firm mount when not in use. As a former EMT, I can give countless stories of common items becoming projectiles that have caused injuy in MVC's. Don't half @$$ the install; do it right and keep it astheticly neat. You don't want to become a photo op for hamsexy.com
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 02:45:23 PM »

I did not want to put holes in my dash, but I have some smooth woodgrain plastic surfaces - I took a small piece of plexiglas - the same width as the metal mic hangar, and cut it long enough to put two pads of DS foam tape - used small machine screws and nuts to attach hanger to plastic, then DS taped the thing to the front of the dash - been up 4 years without a wiggle and I can remove it w/out leaving a hole in the dash.

The biggest problem besides accidents is sitting on and creating a hot mic situation.
KJ1H

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 02:36:36 PM »

My TM-271A came with a great mic holder, one that the mic actually slides into commercial style.  So I use that.  It sure beats the screw sticking out of the dashboard that I used to hang my IC-2100H's mic on!  No chance of this one coming loose in a crash or during... er... spirited maneuvers... O:)

73 - Justin

73 - Justin
AA0CW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 04:58:38 PM »

My Yaesu FT-7800r control head is mounted above the rear view mirror in my Jeep Cherokee. The mic is stuck in the sunglasses holder on the top console. In my Mustang the mic is in one of the cup holders.
VO1GXG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 08:58:33 PM »

I made a hook to mount it on the arm of the rearview mirror.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: