Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not more activity on 2 M, 6M and 432 MHz CW?  (Read 1049 times)
WX7G

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2010, 09:17:39 AM »

Where is the VHF/UHF CW activity?
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 03:22:37 PM »

There is already a post with the same title.
Don't bother answering all over again.
It's all said in the other post.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 05:45:49 PM »

This is a different question, relating to CW only.

In my experience, on VHF just like HF, CW is at the "bottom end" of all the VHF-UHF bands.

More specifically, most 6m CW activity is between 50.090 and 50.100.

2m spreads it out a bit more, as e.m.e. operators are almost all in the lower 30 kHz of the band while contesters-grid chasers-rag chewers operate up higher, often between 144.1 and 144.2.

222 MHz through 10,300 MHz shows most CW activity in the lower 100 kHz of every single band.

Of course, CW is legal everywhere except 60m, from band edge to band edge.  But the "norm" on VHF-UHF-SHF is similar to HF, where most of the action is at the very bottom end.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 10:27:41 AM »

Most serious VHFers do CW so it's straightforward to drum up activity when anyone is on the bands at all.  I actually usually end up making most of my contest contacts on CW or crossmode because I'm weak.  I've never had anyone fail to copy me.  I think people yak locally on SSB because the bandwidth is higher.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
NE3R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 04:14:10 PM »

The last time I used CW on 2 meters and 432 MHz was in 2006 I think.  I was operating those bands at my club's field day site.  Not a lot of VHF+ on field day as it is, and band conditions were very poor.  A bit of a rag chew started on SSB between the 4 or 5 stations that could hear each other.  Someone suggested that they were going to call CQ on CW a few kHz down.  I had my CW key, so, I answered them, and made a few more CW contacts with some of the ops that I had already worked on SSB.  It was great because I was still pretty new to CW and those QSOs nearly doubled the score from the 2m/432 station that year!

73 de Joseph M. Durnal NE3R
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 07:05:56 PM »

This weekend is the ARRL VHF SS contest.  There will be CW activity on all the VHF-UHF-SHF bands for certain.

Be there.
WMCO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 09:26:35 AM »

I am a lot on the bands, I hear a lot of SSB but very little CW. I could care less really if someone thinks he has to call me in CW he will not get an answer. I plain ignore them. Get into the 21st century and either use voice or modern digital modes. I would care less even if the station calling would be the rarest DX in the world..its not worth it.That said, I have my license since 75 and do know CW but I have chosen NOT to dwell in the ancient past.
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 01:29:39 PM »

On vhf/uhf one's expextations have to be based on realistic overall conditions that prevail in the area.
To be on 2m SSB usually takes a higher end radio with the options or a transverter, a rotatable beam antenna and an effort to make the band useful in that area.
There are only just so many in a given area that would have the capability.
Then there are people who try too make a vertical the all around antenna for SSB. It dosn't work to well.
Not often hearing anyone or making calls leads to abandonment of effort on these bands.
During contest time, you will often hear about the same number of stations that upon contest ending will not return until the next time.
Competeing are the repeaters and use of HF and other modes.
Most ops are still working and have a limited amount of time to get on the air in their off time.
Guess which bands are apt to get the most efforts? where there are contacts to be made!
Don't wonder about this but get on, talk it up or nothing will change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: