Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: external storage devices  (Read 559 times)
G4REK

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2004, 01:08:41 PM »

Can i use 2 external storage devices on win.98se, my external hard drive shows as drive D, but when i load driver for the memory stick it it is not detected at all, is there a drive E ? both units are in a usb port.........thanks

jim  g4rek..........  
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 02:57:36 AM »

You should be able to do this. The driver for your second external storage device should create an E: drive.

If drive E: is not being created, check the external storage device supplier's web site to verify that you're running the most recent version of the driver. There may also be a Frequently Asked Questions list there that explains how to deal with this problem.

Dave, AA6YQ
G4REK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 05:28:43 AM »

thanks......jim  g4rek
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 09:47:20 PM »

hi jim,

If you have more then one usb port on the pc, you need to install a driver for each port.

So remove the external device cable from the working usb port and insert it in the next usb port and the drivers should install for it.  Repeat for additional usb ports and your done !

73 james
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 09:07:14 PM »

If your computer has a built-in CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, it may be the E drive. That's my situation- the previous owner of my laptop partitioned the single hard drive, so I have two logical drives, C and D, though it's just one physical drive. Windows then assigned the CD-ROM as the E drive, so my USB storage device becomes active as the F drive. Since I use Win-98, I had to download a driver from the maker of the USB device before Windows recognized it.
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 06:40:05 PM »

IF it worked and then stopped, you may beed to get into the Device Manager and refresh.

When i shut down, hibernate, restart, what ever... my external (USB) hard drive gets lost, I need to refresh the list in Device manager and reset the SHAREs.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 07:44:52 AM »

Observer11, what operating system and what type of external "drive" are you using? I use Lexar Jump Drives. I can start the computer without the Lexar plugged into the USB port, and then plug it in at any time. The operating system recognizes it within about 2 seconds. I can even "hot swap" one Lexar for another. I am running Win 98 on one PC, and Win 98 SE on the other. I've encountered no problems like what you described.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: