Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting obvervations  (Read 749 times)
AA0CW

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2010, 07:51:09 AM »

I got my Tech last month and will pass my General in February. Bought a Yaesu FT-840 and yesterday built a Tak-tenna tuned with an MFJ versa tuner. I put the Tak-tenna vertical on a tripod on my patio which is south facing and about 40 feet up. I'm at 7,000 feet (condo antenna restrictions). Anyway, tuning into the HF bands for the first time last night was an interesting experience. The Tak-tenna did great on 160, 80, 40 meters. Heard stations from all over north America for that contest, and some conversations on 80 meters that well...one guy in the Mojave desert was cussing out someone named Bob, and there was a group of guys that sounded like truck drivers on I-40, racial comments, obscenities, playing music, sound effects, I never expected this on Amateur Radio. It was an interesting first experience listening to the hf bands.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 09:44:38 AM »

On CW and you won't hear that stuff.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 10:05:37 AM »

"racial comments, obscenities, playing music, sound effects, I never expected this on Amateur Radio."

Doesn't sound typical of any of the frequencies I use. You can hear junk like that on 14.275 and some parts of 75 meters, I guess.

What frequency did you hear that on?
AA0CW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 11:40:38 AM »

Both the guy cussing out Bob and the truck driver type music, sound effects, and general nonsense were on 80 meters. I didn't write the frequencies down.

I'm learning CW, one thing I noticed is the cw on the code practice web sites isn't anything like the cw on hf. But I'm a trying.

Besides those two things, I was impressed with being able to hear stations from all over the country on so many bands. This is really cool. Can't wait to pass my General exam!
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 01:59:56 PM »

"Both the guy cussing out Bob and the truck driver type music, sound effects, and general nonsense were on 80 meters."

The voice part of the 3.5-4.0 MHz band (3.6 to 4.0) is referred to as "75 meters". The CW/data part (3.5 to 3.6) is referred to as "80 meters"

This isn't just ham slang; FCC uses those terms in Part 97, as if they were two separate bands.

"I didn't write the frequencies down."

Next time, please do so. There are certain places to avoid.

"I'm learning CW, one thing I noticed is the cw on the code practice web sites isn't anything like the cw on hf."

How is it different, for you?

A good source of code practice is W1AW. Schedule of times/speeds/frequencies is on the ARRL website (www.arrl.org)

"But I'm a trying."

EXCELLENT!

"Besides those two things, I was impressed with being able to hear stations from all over the country on so many bands."

I know what you mean...

Remember that on HF, if somebody with a decent signal acts badly when the band is open, they can be heard over an enormous area. It only takes a few; the vast majority of hams are well-behaved.

"This is really cool. Can't wait to pass my General exam!"

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask for help.

And don't stop at General; Extra is just one more test.

73 de Jim, N2EY
AA0CW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 02:06:43 PM »

CW on hf is different because of the noise, interference, signals fading. But it's fun to listen to and try to figure out what is being said. So far I've gotten CQ CQ down! And the letter E...

Oh and I will go on and pass the Extra exam after I pass General.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 06:39:48 PM »

"I didn't write the frequencies down."

Next time, please do so. There are certain places to avoid.

Get the call signs, and by all means record it if you can.

FB (Fine Business) on getting into code and CW. Computers are good tutors, but an hour of time on the air doing a real CW QSO is worth a lot more than the same time spent on a computer.

I've been progressing with code for about 18 months now, and can share two pieces of advice over any other.

1. Work on it for 15 minutes a day, and progress slowly, at your own pace. You'll be better off that way, in my opinion. I've found that learning to copy is very much like learning to play a musical instrument. That is something I can relate to from my experience.

2. Don't let your copy skills out run your send skills.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 07:31:21 AM »

My mother always told me a little ditty which I have remembered all these years. While not dead on, the aim is close enough: Fools names, like fools faces, often appear in public places.

Remember too, ignorance is bliss, so if they're blissful, they have to be ignorant. I believe they are!

W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 02:45:06 AM »

Congrats on one down, two to go.
No matter where you go, you'll find people who lack social graces, lack people skills, and can only feel OK by degrading others.  

You'll probably also observe that some people have carried childish behavior into adult life.  By that I mean behavior they developed as a child which they reflexively use, even though it is inimical to their objectives.

Bob
AA0CW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 08:03:11 AM »

Thanks yall. I was just a bit taken back at what I heard. Since then, I've listened to some great QSO's, some round table discussions and a lot of Nets. Amazing stuff. Last night I was listening to KH7XS on 7183.30. His signal was 20db over S9 here in Colorado. The stations waiting to contact him were patiently waiting their turn, it was amazing just to listen. But talk about frustrating! Can't wait to get my General...and Extra!
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 01:12:01 AM »

Well.  get a moving OT!!
Time to start studying, even if its only 30 minutes a night.

Bob
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 05:16:19 AM »

Thanks yall. I was just a bit taken back at what I heard. Since then, I've listened to some great QSO's, some round table discussions and a lot of Nets. Amazing stuff. Last night I was listening to KH7XS on 7183.30. His signal was 20db over S9 here in Colorado. The stations waiting to contact him were patiently waiting their turn, it was amazing just to listen. But talk about frustrating! Can't wait to get my General...and Extra!

I spend a lot of time listening too.

True story:

One Saturday evening I heard a QSO discussing an Episcopal Church.

Realizing that Pepsi Cola is an anagram for Episcopal, out of reverence I went inside and had a Coca Cola.
AA0CW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 09:06:53 AM »

Well. get a moving OT!!
Time to start studying, even if its only 30 minutes a night.

Bob

I am studying and taking practice exams several hours a day. So far getting 100% on all the General and 60-70% on the Extra. Whomever said it was "Extra lite" was wrong. This stuff is hard. No I won't be required to build an anti-matter warp engine out of paperclips and duct tape, but to me this is really hard stuff.

I will pass my General and Extra Feb 6th!

This is fun stuff.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 09:32:21 AM »

I spend a lot of time listening too.

True story:

One Saturday evening I heard a QSO discussing an Episcopal Church.

Realizing that Pepsi Cola is an anagram for Episcopal, out of reverence I went inside and had a Coca Cola.

Well, I heard two bridge players in QSO discussing the game.

Realizing that Big Red is an anagram for bridge, I went inside and had a Mountain Dew.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 08:04:28 PM »

Well, I heard two bridge players in QSO discussing the game.

Realizing that Big Red is an anagram for bridge, I went inside and had a Mountain Dew.

Inspirational!

Mountain Dew, eh? Let's see. "Untamed wino?" Or a "woman untied?" Sorry. That's the best I can do with the dew anagrams.

But, I just had a Doctor Pepper, and I drank it from a copper red pot.

No surcharge for Orange Crush.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:09:20 PM by K5END » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: