Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Link Antenna Coupler by W5DWT, 73 Magazine  (Read 887 times)
AA5WG

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2010, 05:55:01 AM »

Hi to all:
Does anyone have a copy of the W5DWT 73 Magazine article?  I think it may have been printed near 1963?

Chuck Pool - AA5WG
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:15:45 AM »

There has been an on-going discussion on this very forum about link tuners. One of the responders is Tom Rauch, W8JI. His comments about a properly designed T type tuner, and requisite balun will give you a concrete base to hang your hat on.

Every antenna tuner, no matter the configuration, has some drawback(s). For the most part, the T tuner, with a decent 1:1 balun, will equal, or out perform, any other tuner configuration. You might find some loads which are better served with a different configuration, but not many.

AA5WG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 06:47:44 AM »

K0GB:
Thank you.
Chuck - AA5WG (Anyone else have info. on this 73 Magazine article?)
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 07:08:20 AM »

If you design a link tuner for a specific system, like a 135ft flat top fed with open wire line you can design a very efficient tuner.  If you goal is to match a wet noodle a T tuner may be a better choice.  It's all a trade off, efficiency vs range of loads matched.  Most people think a wide range of matching possibilities is most important but its only really important in the case where you are going to be trying out a bunch of different antennas.  Once you decide on a given antenna power transfer is most important

I've built link coupled tuners with band specific plug in coils for a given antenna, and I highly recommend it.  its much easier to plug in a coil than to spend half an hour goofing around with a roller inductor once you have your system characterized.

73  W9OY
AA5WG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 08:00:05 AM »

W9OY:
Thank you for your info.  

My first link coupler had plug-in coils too.  I agree, this is a very nice antenna coupler.

Anyone havae or know where I may find a copy of the 73 Magazine article by W5DWT on the link antenna coupler?  It may have been published in 1963.  I am not sure.

Chuck Pool - AA5WG
Cedar, Michigan
AA5WG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 05:56:58 PM »

I am looking for a copy of the following:
1965 73 Magazine article titled - "Tuned Feeders Foever - Nasty Black Snake" by W5DWT, page 24.

Chuck Pool - AA5WG
Cedar, Michigan
AA5WG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 06:00:05 PM »

The month is January.  January 1965 page 24 has the artickle I am looking for, "Tuned Feeders Forever - Nasty Black Snake" by W5DWT.

Chuck Pool - AA5WG
Cedar, Michigan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: