The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transmitting makes computer reboot/turn on  (Read 1474 times)
KC5IIE

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2010, 01:12:19 PM »

Hello, Ive developed a problem with one of our computers rebooting every time I key up. We have 5 computers in the house, 3 macs and 2 PC's, we've had this setup for a long time. Recently, one of the Mac's has begun restarting each time I key up the transmitter. Im using the same antenna and rig as always, nothing has changed with the station. Any ideas why this one computer would do this while the others are fine? BTW, the computer in question happens to be my wife's...We have to unplug it while Im on the air cause keying up will turn the damn thing on...

Thanks!

Chris
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 03:02:07 PM »

I don't have an answer to the "why now" question Smiley
Try with mouse and or keyboard disconnected
If your macs use the same model PS, swap PS with one of the others.
If there are other devices (speakers,external DVD etc ) connected to the mac, try with those disconnected too.)

Dimitri

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 03:49:42 PM »

Has the computer been moved or plugged into a different electrical outlet or any new devices added to it? Has anything in the radio shack changed - moved equipment, changed grounding wires, etc? Obviously something has changed that is permitting RF to get into the computer.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 04:08:19 PM »

Something subtle could have changed such as the placement of a PC cable. It is time to 'threshold' the problem.

Reduce TX power to 5 watts. Now increase TX power until the PC reboots. Is this power close to your normal operating power? If so that tells us that the change is minor.

If the PC reboots at a much lower TX power level than you normally operate at, that tells us something major has changed.
KC5IIE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 04:42:55 PM »

Some good ideas here, I'll try reducing power to see how that affects it. Really, nothing has changed as far as where it is located and what Im running. This Mac actually is the furthest distance from my station than any of the other machines. We'll play around with it some more. Thanks everyone!
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 03:29:58 AM »

Some good ideas here, I'll try reducing power to see how that affects it. Really, nothing has changed as far as where it is located and what Im running. This Mac actually is the furthest distance from my station than any of the other machines. We'll play around with it some more. Thanks everyone!

The most important question is...................What is your antenna, including feedline and balun and tuner, and how far is your antenna from the area of the computer and the house wiring?

Nothing else much matters without knowing that.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 08:32:09 PM »

I would also check the house wiring where the computer plugs in. It MAY have lost a ground or the connection loosened up to where it is rectifying your RF and causing trouble there.
Frank
KAISERSOUSE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 08:02:53 AM »

Wireless networking and "wake on LAN" setting (on the affected Mac)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: