Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alinco DJ-580 bad memory cell?  (Read 1909 times)
N3LJE

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2010, 06:38:46 PM »

My DJ-580 won't retain any info more than a few days.
Is this a bad memory cell? Can I replace it? N3LJE randjg@comcast.net
AF6AU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 08:19:52 AM »

Bad memory battery, possibly, if it loses the data when the main battery is disconnected or discharged. I downloaded the 580 service manual from the internet as a pdf file, so just search for it. If you cannot find it, contact me at jon.m.lenhert@saint-gobain.com, and I'll e-mail it to you.

It is replacable, and the manual shows where and how.

Finding a battery with the little metal tabs spot welded on will be the most diffcult part of the project. so just make your own.

The cell that's there is a common lithium button cell available at most drugstores. When I do these, I just clean the cell with scotchbrite, use a hot 15 watt iron and kester 88 solder. Place the cold solder on the cell, and melt through it with the iron. Hold for maybe 2 seconds. Do both sides. That tins the cell. Next, strip and tin 2 ea. 1 inch long 20 ga. solid wires. Quick solder the wire ends. If you like to be fancy cover the cell with some heat shrink tube. Use this cell just as the factory cell. You can salvage the metal strips from the old cell by breaking them off using pliers and a rolling motion, flattening them out, tinning, and soldering them on, but for me, that takes too long.

Pay attention to the polarity...., mark the battery and board + and -, remember which lead is + and -.

Before you solder it in, be sure your soldering iron has no floating voltage on it, and use a jumper lead and a 1K series resistor to ground it to the radio when soldering the battery in. Why the resistor? If one side of the new battery is grounded, you short it out with the grounded iron when soldering the hot side. The 1K resistor is low enough to dump off static charges, but not high enough to do anything to the new cell.

I have replaced cells in older Kenwood VHF mobiles, My Dj-820 (rebuilt the 12V battery with Maha Nimh's as well), Icom 735's, various meters, even the cell in the voltile memory of my Icom 751. Never an issue. If you want to save the memory (like the icom 751) use 2 AA, c's or d's cells in series, and 2' of thin wire for hookup, and temporarily tack solder it to another circuit board location to supply power while the button cell is out. This is how I did the Icom.

73's
AF6AU
JML
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 08:28:13 AM »

My local battery store (Lark Batteries near Oklahoma City) will "spot weld" the metal tabs on for free, if I buy the battery from them. I just look at the old battery, note the tab orientation, and draw a picture so the battery guy knows how I want the final setup to look.
AF4A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 07:01:40 PM »

I am in the process of replacing a battery in a DJ-580 but the old battery is bad so I can not reference the poloarity. Can anyone advise the polarity? If not it will be a trial and error process. Takes about 30-45 minutes to get the darn thing taken apart.
Thanks for any helo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gary
AF4A in cape canaveral
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 07:55:03 AM »

I am in the process of replacing a battery in a DJ-580 but the old battery is bad so I can not reference the poloarity. Can anyone advise the polarity? If not it will be a trial and error process. Takes about 30-45 minutes to get the darn thing taken apart.
Thanks for any helo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gary
AF4A in cape canaveral

Do NOT use trial and error here, if the polarity is backwards you will likely damage components.

Use your ohmmeter to find which of the two connection points has continuity with Common or Ground of the rig, that will be the Negative battery terminal.  A good place to reference that would be the Negative terminal of a nearby electrolytic capacitor, or the frame of the rig.

AF4A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 03:23:25 AM »

Thank you for the response and solution.
I have replacement batteries in shipment from digi-key.
73's

Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: