Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are they, and are they legit?  (Read 1692 times)
N4KYW

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2010, 04:17:14 AM »

As a result of recently listing several items on eHam Classifieds, I received two unsolicited emails.
One email was from HAMKEY CLASSIFIEDS <sales@hamkey.com>, purporting to be a new site and offering me the opportunity to list my items there.
The second email was from mail_forwarding@eQSL.cc, announcing that an electronic QSL was waiting for me and requesting me to register at the site, www.eQSL.cc. The email was signed by Dennis John Gazak, N3DG.

Can anyone share any information with me about these sites, especially as to their legitimacy? Thx.
Howard, K4HAG (nee K3EPN)
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 05:22:52 AM »

As a result of recently listing several items on eHam Classifieds, I received two unsolicited emails.
One email was from HAMKEY CLASSIFIEDS <sales@hamkey.com>, purporting to be a new site and offering me the opportunity to list my items there.
The second email was from mail_forwarding@eQSL.cc, announcing that an electronic QSL was waiting for me and requesting me to register at the site, www.eQSL.cc. The email was signed by Dennis John Gazak, N3DG.

Can anyone share any information with me about these sites, especially as to their legitimacy? Thx.
Howard, K4HAG (nee K3EPN)
Never heard of hamkey.com before, but I just visited the www.hamkey.com site and it looks perfectly good to me.  Another classifieds site dedicated to ham gear - they come and go.  EQSL has been around for many years and you likely have received many QSLs there from other eQSL members.  Membership is free at the basic level - just check it out.  If you're interested in QSLs, but don't want to spend the money sending them, and you won't be submitting cards for DXCC, etc., then eQSL is a good way to go. 
N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 02:55:16 PM »

The eQsl.cc is legit, it's from the electronic QSL card exchange service eQSL, that offers free basic service and as you see you can be notified by email of new arrivals. Registration is free and I encourage you to sign up for it, you might enjoy it as many other hams do and it doesn't cost you anything but a few minutes to sign up.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 12:09:31 AM »

>As a result of recently listing several items on eHam Classifieds, I received two unsolicited emails.

Buyers will look for stuff where the stuff is.
Nothing wrong with listing in eham classifieds. At least they don't run any ads for Replica Watches ..

eQsl ...some prefer it to LotW (LogBook of the world  http://www.arrl.org/lotw )

...and of course there are LotW users that will simply refuse to use eQsl.
 Sure, I am one of them; eQSL rubs me the wrong way.  Send me a card, send me nothing,add me to LoTW ,  but  QSL-ing electronically because your logging software "does it" ...why did we use  all those electrons communicating during the contact in the first place ?
Might as well add me as your  friend in facebook or my space or beebo or whatever ... and then I can see pictures of your antennas and your dog as well...No thanks Smiley

...and to be fair...there are eQsl users that won't use LotW baceuse they find it too hard.
Which of course is "Crockus  Maximus".

Dimitri

Dimitri
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 07:43:48 PM »

All I can say is I still hear folks complaining about N3DG stealing or ripping off someone...too bad QTH Forum is down...was lots of info on there..just be careful with this screw loose individual...
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 09:49:33 PM »

If you're handy with your computer and e-mail program you can take a peek at the raw e-mail packet for telltales of oddness...

Right click the e-mail header to see if there's an option for details, or highlight the title and poke around in tools. Once you're there you'll see a bunch of stuff that means something only to the e-mail program, but you'll also see things like the path info and if there's a reply-to redirect.

F'rinstance... Last year I received a weird e-mail that was supposed to be from Dell computers or some such, but the path had no indication of starting there or anywhere within a familiar domain. The reply-to path showed as something(at)sitename.ru

Meaning................... Any reply was going back to a Russian mailbox and possibly a 'bot that collects e-mail addresses for sale to spammers. All they wanted was a reply to confirm they hit a legitimate address.

Sorry, Juraj, not happenin'...........................

Never change a password on a Friday                
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 03:49:45 AM »

Always, always do a search on a call if you are planning  transaction...you may not hit pay dirt, but someone like N3DG, you will see spans decades of stealing from amateur ops, selling them gear and never coming thru and doing it also on EScam.  Sad to say it but you have to be a bit paranoid in doing business with anyone these days....as of late, I have seen some really off the wall packet cluster insults, etc from N3DG.  This guy is a nut case up and down.   Avoid him at all costs.  There are others with similar noteriety out there scammer...be carefull!
KK4IKO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 05:10:58 PM »

It won't help your current quandary, but here's something I installed years ago to give me double protection from e-mail fraud and spam.  It's a program called Mailwasher Pro.  http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/mailwasher-pro.  I believe there's even a free version which will give a real good idea what Mailwasher is all about. 

The program allows you to see the gist of your mail while it's still on the server, before you download it into Outlook or whatever other e-mail program you use.  You can safely open links, too.  It has lots of options for dealing with different kinds of e-mail, including bouncing, it's real easy to delete stuff, and only download what you want to open.  A great program that comes out of New Zealand.  Their support is exceptional, and the Pro license is good for 3 computers.  Nick Bolton at Firetrust produces other good software, as well.

Bruce, KK4IKO
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 08:05:40 PM »

Howard:  I have one hard and fast rule for dealing with "unsolicited" email and the ads that appear on the borders of the computer screen.  IGNORE them!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: