Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Experience Using USB to Serial Adapters  (Read 580 times)
K3AN

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2004, 05:55:08 PM »

I use contest logging/CW sending programs that I wrote in Visual Basic. The programs use the status leads in the serial port (COM1 or COM2) to key the radio for CW, and also to activate the PTT. Since legacy ports (serial and parallel ports) are rapidly disppearing from PCs, these functions will ultimately have to be done using USB ports. If any of you have utilized a serial to USB adapter, please post your experiences, whether a success or failure. Specifically, what version of Windows, and what application(s) or program(s) were you running, and did the adapter perform properly. Also, have you verified that the status leads (DTR, RTS) change state properly. Finally, did the operating system and the program consistently "remember" which COM port was assigned, or did you have to reinstall drivers or have the program hunt for the port each time you started. Don't forget to tell us what adapter you used. Thanks.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 09:49:49 PM »

I use a VScom 8 port unit in the shack, and a Belkin F5U007 for portable operation. Both behave perfectly with applications that use modem control signals, and establish persistent virtual serial ports.

Dave, AA6YQ
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 12:16:26 PM »

Thanks for posting, Dave. What operating system(s) are you using. I'm still using Win 98 here.

Bill, K3AN
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 04:46:36 PM »

I've used USB to serial adapters on a number of applications at work and at home running on Windows XP and 2000. I have learned thru some bad experiences with drivers making XP unstable, to use only adapters that employ the FTDI chip set. FTDI provides fully certified drivers for XP.

The applications I've used are MIXW2 rig control, 3M wall display control ports, and several other specialized serial control applications. The control signals on the FTDI chips appear to work correctly although I have not actually measured the response time.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 11:16:08 AM »

I have used the USB to serial adapter on two systems: W98SE and WXP SP2. The Aten cable adapter works well and is from IO Gear or Cyberguys (part# 104 0475). I have a generic adapter that I got to work once and now have to try again. If I had the choice again, I would stick with the Aten adapter, it seems relatively easy to get working on either system. Good luck.
Frank
WA2FSO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 06:55:38 AM »

I use a usb-serial adapter made by keyspan, got it at compusa and/or microcenter, ran around 30-50 dollars. works with every aplication i needed it for, worked with win98/win Me/win XP.
KE7BKR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 12:13:51 PM »

http://ttl2usb.com is offering USB versions of many popular radio interface cables.  If you don't already have a cable, you might as well get a USB version to start with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: