Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: am I a LID ???  (Read 1656 times)
K0XY

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2010, 08:22:53 PM »

...I recently was on 20 CW working a very small amount of DX, so after running out of DX to chase (as the band was closing to the west), I decided to call a short CQDX and see if anyone bit...and a guy responded "lid"...hmmmm?Huh? was I a lid Huh? or was the person just being a twerp (I checked the freq first with a qrl to make sure it was un-occupied)HuhHuh??
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 03:40:28 AM »

There's nothing wrong with calling CQ DX, especially after inquiring "QRL?"

On the other hand, one of the worst kinds of lids makes unidentified transmissions.

Chuck  NI0C
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 06:00:11 AM »

I suspect what happened is a DX station was on the frequency and you did not hear him due to propagation. But you were heard by someone who did hear the DX.

You are not a LID if that is what happened.

Being a legitimate LID is calling DX who is working split on his frequency. I have accidentally done this more than once and have been called a LID. I hate when that happens.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 06:09:08 AM »

Of course you're no LID!  The Lid that called you that, is.  Of course, situations can put in you that case. *I* was happily in QSO with a USA guy on 18.088...my usual 17 meter QRG.  The guy left and I started CQ-ing again, hoping for one more. Several CQ's later a guy came on my freq and kept sending 'DX-DX-DX'.  I replied, 'Neg, just a rag chew'. Pretty soon another guy sent to me 'LID'. I ignored him and sent on. Another guy come on and said 'DX HR U LID', to which *I* replied, 'ME TOO FOR THE PAST HOUR'.  Two more empty CQ and I went QRT anyway. I never heard a thing on the band, except these comments. Apparently the East Coast had EU that I couldn't hear.  Takes thicker skin than it used to...

dm
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 06:21:39 AM »

Did you call CQDX on the freq where you made your last contact? If so, it is best to move to a new freq because there may be other stations who want to attempt to work the DX station. You were technically in the clear because you did QRL but its still a good idea to move just in case.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 07:11:45 AM »

Some people seem to use "LID" when they mean "QRL." ... of course I mean the response "The frequency is in use," not the question "QRL?"

I think worldwide DX spotting is responsible for some of this, partially because it allows lots of real lids to find DX that they wouldn't otherwise and do annoying things all over the DX, making people mad.   

But there's a possible second effect, which is the assumption that since EVERYONE is connected to the cluster system, EVERYONE knows the frequency of EVERY possible DX station that's active at any second: so instead of politely informing you "QRL," when you call CQ on the frequency of some DX you can't hear after asking "QRL?," they call you a lid.  After all, all you'd have to do is look at every 20m DX spot before you call CQ :-)

Some hams need to calm down.  I love DXing and don't do too much domestic QSOing: I'm often disappointed when some DX I need is on and some USA station comes along and covers them.  But if I really wanted to work that DX, and that USA station had just come on, I'd send a polite "C" or "YES" when I heard the "QRL?" and if I heard a CQ just starting, I'd send "QRL."

It's really the difference between saying "excuse me" and "get the #$(* out of my way..."  not actually any harder or generally less effective to do the first...

You're not a lid, the other guy is a lid. 

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 07:13:42 AM »

Apparently the East Coast had EU that I couldn't hear.  Takes thicker skin than it used to...

If people would put up beams instead of being totally enamored with over-hyped verticals, they wouldn't have a problem hearing east-headed DX over W7...

:-)

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 07:27:44 AM »

DEAD ON !!   When I was  /8 and /2, I used a Quad, which is very, VERY, easily tuned for F/B !!
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 07:50:58 AM »

It's possible you were QRM'ing somebody's DX.

It used to be that you could send "QRL" when somebody was QRM'ing you, to tell them the frequency is in use. But today, "QRL" without a question mark seems to be exactly the same as "QRL?" with a question mark. It shouldn't have degenerated to "LID" but that's the way it is sometimes.
KE5SBZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 01:25:37 PM »

Hi All,

What is a LID?

New Guy

73 Ed KE5SBZ
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 01:35:03 PM »

Don't forget to send QRL QRL? and then listening before sending CQ.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 02:04:16 PM »

No, I don't think so. Unless you didn't listen before calling CQ, or tried to take over the DX's frequency after the QSO.

But I don't think that happened.

---

One thing too many hams forget is the existence of the "skip zone", caused by the ionosphere bouncing back low-angle signals but not high-angle ones.

What happens then is that you can hear signals at certain distances but not others, even though the ones you can't hear are closer.

Under such conditions it is not unusual for Station A and Station B to be unable to hear each other, but for Station C to be able to hear both of them, due to the relative distances from each other. If Station A is DX and on the frequency, and Station B sends QRL? and then starts transmitting, it may seem to Station C that Station B is a lid for not really listening. Yet A and B can't hear each other at all.

This is one of the reasons so-called "semi-automatic" robot Winlink stations are a bad idea.

73 de Jim, N2EY
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 04:14:54 PM »

> What is a LID?
>
> New Guy
>
> 73 Ed KE5SBZ

I am a LID and I'm proud of it!

No, seriously, "LID" is a common telegraphy abbreviation for a poor operator.

The origin is not unambiguously clear, but there are some hints at e.g. http://www.ac6v.com/73.htm#LID .

73, Fabian DJ1YFK

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 03:13:14 AM »

"If people would put up beams instead of being totally enamored with over-hyped verticals, they wouldn't have a problem hearing east-headed DX over W7..."

If anyone has any beams and towers they would like to donate to the cause, please contact me. And if you would - include installation.

:-)

Larry, NU4B
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 06:15:32 AM »

Two element Quads are very easy to build, #14 housewire. About 14 feet on a side. A 17 meter dipole minimum good height is 27 feet. Quads seem to operate well a little lower than a Half-Wave. A 4 inch PVC mast of 20 feet, guyed, will support one...AND WORK WELL....
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: