Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: am I a LID ???  (Read 1685 times)
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 06:27:03 AM »

QRL   QRL?    (listen for 5-10 seconds)   CQ DX CQ DX DE K0XY KOXY CQ DX CQ DX DE K0XY K0XY K

Send QRL to check if the frequency is in use.

Send short CQs.

Not sending QRL and sending long CQs are LID-like
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 07:24:15 AM »

QSK is also a help... you instantly hear if something ELSE is going on, on your frequency............
KC2ZA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 10:12:14 AM »

Just a quick funny story about this topic.
I was starting out as a Tech plus and was using FT-747 and a old Speed X straight key and was able to copy cw to about 5 to 8 words a minutes on a good day and my sending was ok, but not great. The first bunch of guys I worked came back to my CQ and gave me my report and I kept copying all the time "so lid".
I was thinking that I wasn't that good, but I can't be that bad to be called a lid.
I then relized that they were sending " solid cpy " and not " so lid" HI HI
Rick
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 10:18:54 AM »

LOL, Rick, me, too. "so, lid copy?"
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 06:59:45 PM »

Who knows?

Just do the best you can to be a good op.

For some reason, once in a while, one op will have a bad day, and you'll become his target.

Some of the best advice I was given as a Novice was to never be a traffic cop--there are already tons of doo-gooders making enough QRM.  For me, other than letting somebody know they have audio problems, I never comment about another ops way they play radio.

Guess the only exception to that is when I hear real good audio on SSB.

My favorite traffic cop story is ops milling about on a DXs listening frequency before the DX usually appeared.  I was using dual receive and had dialed in the DX listening frequency.  When I heard him come on the air I gave him my call.  He came back to me, I gave him a signal report and had to listen past the traffic cops telling me I was QRMing the frequency.

The op was P5.  the only time I heard one.  he was the one of the two countries I've never heard,  the other is 7O.

Bob
KL7AJ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 12:53:57 PM »

If you care enough to even ask....you aren't.  Smiley

Eric
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 01:24:31 PM »

Very true. LIDS generally do not even intertain the possibility that they might be a LID :-)
F5FRM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 08:18:35 AM »

Hi to all,

About lid behaviors, it happened to me something that I do not know exactly how to avoid :

I was operating /P with a small station and I was listening, on 30m, a DX station operating from Caribbean sea. The station was listing up and as I was never able to hear what was his exact RX frequency (I never found someone working him), I decided to find the clearest frequency to call... in the middle of the pile up...

After a few minutes, I realized that I was calling on the K5D frequency... The lower part of the pile-up was calling the first DX station, and the second part was calling K5D and I thought they were all calling the same station ! Sad
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: