Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer interference  (Read 519 times)
VU3SPQ

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2005, 09:18:25 AM »

There are two computers in my shack. Whenever I switch ON them along with my HF (FT 840), I hear heavy QRM in the radio.

Can anyone suggest what best can I do to avoind this and how can I do this ?

DE VU3SPQ

Sunny
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 11:01:00 PM »

The first thing to do is to try to identify the source of the noise. I'd leave on computer off entirely, and focus on the other. Start by eliminating all peripherals -- disconnect the monitor, and leave it powered down, remove the mouse, keyboard, and any other devices - including ethernet switches or routers, cable modems, or telephone modems -- and unplug anything connected to AC power. Remove all cables from the PC except the power cable. Now turn it on and let it boot.

If you still hear noise on your transceiver, then the problem lies within the PC, and is likely being radiated through the power cord. Try wrapping the power cord around some appropriate ferrite cores. If the computer's case is metallic, try grounding it. Also, look for poor electrical connectivity between the two halves of the case.

If you don't hear the noise with all peripherals disconnected and powered down, then add them back one at a time, rebooting after each addition. This procedure will identify the culprit, but keep in mind that there could be more than one. Correcting the culprit will depend on what it is, but wrapping its interface cable around some ferrite cores would be a good first step.

Once you quiet down computer A, apply the same fixes to computer B; if its still noisy, repeat the process described above.

Dave, AA6YQ
AE4TR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 07:09:22 AM »

Big problem.  If its from the power cord try going to radio shack and buy a couple of Shielded Power cords. They not only have the green wire, but also a shield around the conductors. This cured a problem for me.  This interference is also discussed in length on QRZ.COM.  There are a lot of suggestions there. Hope this helps in solving your problem..  Ben.. AE4TR  
N4HRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 12:48:16 PM »

I placed torrids on the cable at the Keyboard at and on the cable to the mouse

solved all noise

my 2 cents
Lew
N4HRA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: