Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lab-tops for ham radio ?  (Read 543 times)
N5RWJ

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2010, 12:36:56 PM »

What should we look for in a lab-tops , to support our Ham hobby ?
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 01:11:22 PM »

Well, I'm sure you are going to get all kinds of answers, but here is what I would want, based on the facts that I would want a laptop capable of operating all forms of digital ham operation, along with modem and wireless internet access.

Windoze XPSP3

At least 2GHZ processor

At least 2 GB memory

All the serial ports you can get
(which will be one, but if the laptop you choose has a "dock" you can get with more ports, get it. Without the serial ports, spring for a good USB to Serial adapter with multiple ports, it will cost, but worth it.)

Wireless adapter built in

Dial-up modem built in

Ethernet (LAN /RJ-45) built in

I run a Dell D600 with all the above (including dock)...with the following software:

Digipan
MMSSTV
MMTTY
MixW
EasyPal
Winpack
Outpost PMM
AGWPE
UI-View32
Airmail
Paclink
Echolink

I do all my digital stuff with a Signalink USB and an AEA PK232MBX TNC.

Also, when you buy the laptop, don't pay a huge price for an office software. Take a look at OpenOffice. It is free to download, and does everything Monkeysoft Office can do and more, including saving and opening your files in Monkeysoft Office formats as well as converting files to PDF.

Sorry for the information overload!

de NA4IT
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 05:26:31 PM »

hi Charles,

I like the older IBM Thinkpads, can't be beat,
plenty available off lease and easy to repair
if necessary.

IBM desktops off lease, under three years old
with windows o/s ready to use, free shipping and
7 day no problem return if not satisfied.

All my pc at home are all used from IBM off lease,
I run Thinkpads for field day digital station.

http://www.ibm.com/products/specialoffers/us/en/icue.html

73 james
KC3EF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 05:35:09 PM »

Charles,

I use a Compaq Presario V4000 with various digital programs with no problems.  I have also used an ACER Netbook with HRD/DM780 with no problems except that the keyboard is 90% of full sized keyboard.  

73's
Dick, KC3EF
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 06:05:16 AM »

first thing I would look for is LAPTOPS not lab tops. Smiley But then thats just me. YMMV
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 07:07:06 AM »

You'll be hard pressed to find a new laptop today that has any serial ports. USB to Serial converters work pretty well to interface to anything requiring a legacy serial port. It's time for amateur hardware mfgs to abandon serial and implement USB ports. With the chip sets available today its not that hard to do.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 10:14:40 AM »

I'm a fan of the Thinkpad line of laptops as well. I've had four used Thinkpads over the years, starting with a 760EL, 600E, T23 and now a T43. The T23's hard drive got flaky and that's the only one that ever had a failure. Otherwise each of the upgrades were to go to a newer version of Windows and/or more processor speed.

None of the Thinkpads or their AC power supplies generated any detectable RF noise in the HF bands. Connected to various 100 Watt HF rigs (for keying and rig control), they all withstood the RF fields generated by nearby, low antennas at home and at Field Day without a hiccup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: