Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160 meter RFI from Direct TV receiver  (Read 2597 times)
W8JI

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:09:57 PM »

Direct TV has an illegal receiver next door to me. It is ID number 0288 0295 0382 Model R22-100. This is a "Direct TV Plus" receiver.

The thing excites the power lines with a signal that is very broad and sounds like rough power line noise except it is frequency selective noise. I can hear it on my large antenna arrays 2500 feet from the power lines connected to the receiver!

I haven't had a spectrum analyzer on the receiver, but the owners are tenants of mine and we are on very good terms. I'll measure the receiver after the 160 contest this weekend. I cured it now with a brute force filter on power mains and telco lines.

Just thought I would pass this along in case someone else has one near them. There is no doubt at all this thing is far above FCC limits, and I found no FCC ID tag on it. The noise it generates follows the power and telco lines for several hundred feet with a fairly strong signal, and I can hear it on antennas 2500 feet south of power lines!

The noise is there with the receiver off or on.

Tom
AE6RO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 01:08:47 PM »

If the noise is coming in even with the receiver off, it could be the power supply.

Back in the day (1975) I had a longwire antenna which was about 235 feet long. On 40 meters it was like a telephone line to Canada every night(from Pasadena CA). It also picked up a horrible buzz every 10 KHz or so. Made receiving pretty impossible.

Never found out what it was, but I think it was a neighbor's TV. Just out of curiousity, how do you know for sure your tenants' sat reciever is to blame?

I seem to remember there were several replies to this yesterday... 73, John
AE6RO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 05:06:38 PM »

Tenants. Can't live with them. Can't live without them-- without their rent, that is. Am I right? John
KE6L

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 05:06:25 PM »

I would like to know which FCC limits you are referring to.  Part 15 has no limits below 30 MHz, that I am aware of.  This is important to me, because I am trying to pressure Ooma Corp. to get rid of 40M RFI from their product (see my recent post).

Jeff KE6L
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 07:38:15 PM »

Jeff, yes FCC RADIATED emissions starts at 30 MHz. But CONDUCTED emissions runs up to 30 MHz. It is the conducted emissions that are (most likely) the issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: