Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW rigs....  (Read 1629 times)
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 07:33:48 PM »

One of the reasons I stay close to QRP calling frequencies is to be the receiving end of another QRP night-light power station.

I still get the most satisfaction from a 2-way QRP cw QSO. Even if only an exchange of essential information is possible.

How long my senior-citizen hearing will be up to the task is problematic. A long while, I hope.

72/73
Dick
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 11:33:48 AM »

Oh, I have to say it *can* be fun, but when it's NOT...By the way, Field Day and Sweepstakes are 'tops' running QRP. In fact THREE times I entered the Sweepstakes on the Phone weekend, running QRP. I actually won the Northwest Division all three times. [ahem] I was the ONLY entry in that class !!!  

HI HI

dm
AH6GI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 06:20:18 PM »

I'm not thinking that I'd be a big gun DX or contest station with a Ten-Tec 1340. (or small Elecraft, or whatever).

It'd be more a way to have some fun.  I might go NVIS and just work stations out a few hundred miles. That'd be fine.  

My thought is to scale back to a simple, low cost, and easy to use rig.  

That said, I am going to hang onto the Jupiter and probably add QSK and low voltage switching to the 30L-1 but it would be a once-in-a-while rig.  

Like most, I enjoy fiddling with my radio's, cleaning them, figuring out how they work.   I might dig into the Jupiter.  Digging into the Jupiter might be fun.

I'm officially over-the-hill and relegated to the geezer side of Ham Radio, figure only 2 more years and I'll have been licensed for 50 years.  Here I am with a mild case of arthritis in my hands that makes sending code a challenge. I understand tubes better than those new-fangled transistors.

This is about having some fun, listening to CW, hopefully getting my code speed up a little.  

de ah6gi/4
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 12:29:39 PM »

Great stuff, Cory.  I would keep the Collins stuff and the Jupiter.  The Jupiter would work well on QRP and on data, if you wanted to learn it.  If you kept the Collins hooked up to the 30L-1 it would be available to you when condx are poor.  I would love to have several of the Ten-Tec single bander QRP rigs, but there are some other very nice multi-band QRP rigs out there.  A K1 or K2 is also a great idea.  There are many choices for you, and good luck! Rich, n5xm
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: