The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mount a Goose Neck to Transmission Tunnel  (Read 1681 times)
K2YO

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2010, 09:29:27 PM »

I have a 3 series BMW and I want to mount a goose neck to the right side of the transmission tunnel. I’ll need to screw down through the carpet into the floor. Any suggestions, what screw size, pilot hole needed, etc?

Thanks,
Bernie
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 11:48:27 AM »

I wouldn't go drilling any holes unless you can see what is under there. It would be disaster to drill thru a wire bundle, cable, or jam a transmission linkage. The size of screw depends on how big the holes in the mount are and how much weight you've got to support. In my case, I used 1/4-20 stainless bolts with stainless lock nuts along with a 1/4-inch thick aluminum back plate to strengthen the thin steel of the floor board.

If you are not mechanically inclined it may be worth getting some help from an automotive body shop.
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 02:10:34 PM »

Use a punch or scratch awl....
Drilling thru carpet just makes a mess..
Plus the punched hole will grab the screw better.
Just be carefull not to punch too deep and ventilate the X-mission...Also be careful with the screw length for the same reason.....
73 and good luck
Greg
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 04:23:45 PM »

There are several companies which make gooseneck mount which bolts onto one of the seat hold down bolts. No drilling required.

Go to my web site, and look under Radio Mounts.

K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:11:10 PM »

I saw that on your site, but I wondered how stable it would be. I'll have to check around and see if anyone has one local to check out. The current one I have is a short Panduit that I've had luck with before. Also with the great weather for now, maybe I'll get the jack stands out and see what is under there tomorrow.

Bernie
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:32:46 PM »

AS others have said, be careful drilling transmission humps.

Here is my little story about such work, from my days as a mobile installer.

I had a small luxury vehicle what was to get a discreet mobile put in.  I removed the seats and was in the process of drilling, in preparation for the bracket.  As I drilled through the metal body, my drill bit canted over and snapped.

I search under the vehicle revealed that I had hit (but not punctured) as coolant line for a rear mounted A/C.  BUT, since I had gouged the line, we paid for the system to be drained and the piece to be replaced.  

Needless to say, I carried this little boo boo with me throughout my install career and made sure to visualize where screw were going to come through.  

Brad
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 08:44:26 AM »

I have drilled a million of em. But a punch is better because it leave more "meat" for the screw to to thread onto, and also no carpet "wad up". of course it is a good idea to look first on where and how far away vitals of the car are located.  I like to put a little NO-OX-ID on the tip of the screw before screwing it in. Google for No-OX-ID. your screws will never rust. Good for all kinds of mounts into your car. Originally meant to go on your battery terminals, Works great for that too!
Jim K0UA
KI6AOK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 05:16:29 PM »

I have a gooseneck floor mount from www.mountguys.com that slips under the left passenger seat bolt. It is quite stable and I would have no qualms about mounting a control head on it. I use it for a handheld. The key is in properly tightening the bolt down! Plus, using a washer helps, as well.
KD4EUH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 08:53:49 AM »

I wanted to put my  radio on a mount between the seats of a Plymouth mini-van.  Looked on top, looked underneath and saw no reason not to put in some sheet metal screws into the floor.    I did so and then the wife started asking why the rear fan(heating/air) could not be turned off. After a trip to the dealer and 80 dollars, the problem was solved.  I had hit a wire that was in the void between the two layers.

We all learn from our mistakes.

John
KD4EUH
KF6IIU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 02:58:43 PM »

The goosenecks that bolt down with the passenger seat are the state of the art for almost all commercial installations or radios, computers, and other gear that won't fit in the dashboard.

I attached my IC706 to the left side of the hump of my '99 CR-V, but I used holes that were already there for "fir tree" type carpet connectors.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: