Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has someone used a S9 vertical  (Read 2486 times)
N5RWJ

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2010, 07:53:11 PM »

Do you have an opinion on the S9 portable vertical to restrictions ?
K5BDH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 10:07:50 PM »

I like you am in a HOA and Ive been considering getting one of these and hiding it out front of the tree in my backyard. If you can do the same sort of deal with the trees and all it would probably work well for ya. I know he suggets putting a atu at the base of the vertical to get the most out of it and has a 80m coil you can add as well. Hard to go wrong for the price of a 31' vertical. One that you can take up and down pretty quickly.I suppose you could just also run the bare wire up the side of a tree if you have that at your disposal. I'm beating back and forth between that one or a butternut hf6v that would be a little shorter.  Goodluck
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 05:04:16 AM »

Tuner at the base is THE way to go.  I don't have an S9 vert, but I have a vert from Array Solutions, and an inverted L.  Remote tuner at the base takes care of issues like coax loss, matching, etc.  Why use the coax as the matching instrument and not know what energy is wasted at the feed point?  Match the coax to the antenna and get maximum energy transferred to the radiator.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:26:31 PM »

I don't have the S9 vertical but I do have the 31' pole they use. It's made by Jackite (see reviews on eHam) and is available in several colors and lengths. In my case I have the olive green one mounted on a redwood fence to make an inverted-L. It blends in well with the trees. It's not stealth though as it's taller than my trees but it is so thin that it doesn't draw attention.

The pole is very light and is easy for one person to handle while fully extended. If you can't hide it among trees, it is very easy to put up and take it down only when you are using it.

There is nothing special about the S9 but nothing bad either from what I can see. The pole is good and the other parts seem to be good enough for a permanent installation. Also their pricing seems inline with what you would pay if you got the parts elsewhere.

Also, follow the advice of getting a tuner at the feed point, especially if you have a long feedline. I made the investment of putting an ICOM AH-4 at the base of my inverted-L and it has made a huge improvement in my signal reports.
K5BDH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 10:18:20 AM »

I wish I could find an adapter where the ic-ah4 would connect into my ts480sat as I will have to run about 125' of coax out to the S9 etc. So far I've been looking at the ldg z-100plus, z-11pro, and the SGC-239 being placed in some sort of wxproof box out at the base of the vertical. So it's pretty much just a matter of figuring out which out of those three will do the best job with the least amt of problems for my vert install.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:25:15 AM »

Take a look at this link for a simple homebrew AH-4 controller:

http://www.k2.dion.ne.jp/~sradio/AH-4En.htm

I've built the simpler of the two designs shown and it works well with my FT-450. The tuner is about 100' away from the shack and connected with sprinkler wire.

Operation is easy. I press and hold a button on the FT-450 that commands a low power CW signal then I press and release the tuner button. The LED lights up and turns off when tuning is done.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 01:03:12 PM »

A friend of mine just put one up as a flag pole in a flower bed in the
middle of the driveway, on what is basically a ridge of basalt.  (Not
particularly good ground conductivity...)

Works OK on 20/30/40m with a tuner in the shack.  Might also work
17 and 15m, but he isn't interested in those bands.  We discussed
using a tuner at the base, but he wants to run a full gallon and the
autotuners won't handle it.  Once he gets his beam up this will be
dedicated for 40m, and appears to work reasonably well (given the
ground conditions.)

Don't forget to put down plenty of radials.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 02:05:12 PM »

I use a 20 foot home brew "flagpole" and  one of several LDG autotuners with good results. The flagpole has 51 radials under it.   The autotuner sits beneath a plastic Rubbermaid container on my back patio and is out of the weather.  About 13 feet of Davis RF 'Buryflex' coax connects the tuner to the flagpole.  My LDG ZD-11 Pro tunes the thing on 80 thru 6 meters while my LDG AT-200 Pro tunes it on 40 thru 6 meters.  It's better to have the autotuner right at the base of your vertical but mine works pretty well even though I lose a few db in the short run of coax to the flagpole.  If you can install your vertical fairly close to a place where your tuner can be shielded from the weather it will save you the hassle of finding a weatherproof tuner (expensive) to mount right at the base of the antenna.
K5BDH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 09:35:19 PM »

The universal control box looks fairly straightforward to allow for ah4 operation with a non icom radio.
Here is another link with a little simpler schematic.

http://www.kb2ljj.com/data/icom/ah-4.htm

Looks like an easy way to make the ah4 work with the kenwood using at 80m Inverted L. Looks like a ic-ah4 and a jactite pole will be on order soon. Soon as it clears my banker (xyl). Now to just find the components to make the control box at the local elec part houses. I guess one could also use the jactite or mfj1910 pushup poles as a plane jane vertical with 10-12ga wire and fed it with the ah4. Both should work well. Goodluck and thanx for all the helpful replies.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 12:39:39 PM »

For stealth HOA use I have a 4' screwdriver antenna. It lives inside a 4" x 4" vinyl fence post with a bird house on top. When it's time to go on the air I attach a 6' or the 9' whip on a quick disconnect. For 160 meters I attach a 6' mast with a Hustler RM80 resonator and a DX Engineering top hat. It makes a 12' top loaded vertical for top band.

Running 500 watts of CW I work Japan on 160 meters on up, europe on 80 meters on up, and anything else I hear.

Radiation efficiency is 3% on 160 meters and 10% on 80 meters. Higher on the higher bands.
K5BDH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 07:44:05 AM »

I looked into the connector for making an interface that would allow the 6 pin ext atu connector on the back of the ts480sat to connect to the ic-ah4. It appears only 5 wires are actually used in the 6 pin connector on the back on the ts480sat with two of those positions being a ground. It looks like one could just get one of the JST ELP-06v male connectors which fits the one on the back of the ts480sat and running a 75' to 100' of 5 wire control cable out to the ic-ah4 and just plug the wires into the 4 connects (2 ground wires from the cable into the single ground slot in the ah4) and then be able to use the tuner function button in the radio to control the ah4. seems simple enough if it will work.
W8BS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 08:54:48 AM »

What about using a Z-11 Pro at the base??
K5BDH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 10:15:04 AM »

Just was interested in the ic-ah4 as it appears to be able to work in a broader ohm range (10-5000ohms) than the z-11 pro (6 to 1000ohms).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: