Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF mobile while pulling a 5th wheel  (Read 774 times)
N7ZF

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:41:20 PM »

I purchased a 5th wheel trailer in the fall and am interested in operating HF mobile on long, boring drives.  Tow vehicle is a Silverado diesel crew cab with an 8-foot bed and I am considering some type of screwdriver antenna mounted right behind the cab.  I think I will have adequate clearance when turning. (using a non-sliding hitch)
My question is whether this is worth the effort?  Will the presence of the trailer (fiberglass w/ aluminum structure) make communication too difficult?
Would appreciate comments from anyone who has tried this.  Thanks.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 05:27:41 PM »

I wouldn't do that. One of the major issues, besides placing as much metal mass under the antenna, is minimizing the metal along side! A front mounting is always preferred.

If you visit my web site, and look in the Photo Gallery under Other Installs, you'll notice several installs where front mounting was used.

If you have any questions, e-mail me.

K5ILW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 02:32:45 PM »

A possible solution I've heard of (but have not seen) is to mount your antenna on the 5th wheel and run coax to the truck.  I've heard of some mounting antennas near the top of the RV almost horizontally (extending behind the RV) to clear overpasses. By switching coax by various means and maybe repositioning the antenna vertically, they would be ready to operate within the trailer when they stop.

The usual practice of mounting the antenna on the ladder seems to be controversial but that's for another thread.

I'm not sure all screwdrivers are rugged enough for horizontal mounting.

Brad
W6ZKH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 10:59:49 AM »

I have my Hustler Mobile antennas mounted behind the cab and has always been a very good setup for me.  Attached is a picture of my setup with 5th wheel trailer.  Mounted in such a way, no interference with the front cap of the RV.  Long with the HF antennas, the 'Headache Rack' has my vhf/uhf/cb antennas mounted on it, for a 'no hole in the roof' setup.  I know everyone will have a different opinion on this subject.......

John W6ZKH
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 11:32:22 AM »

> picture of my setup with 5th wheel trailer.

Is that you driving?  :-)

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N7ZF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 01:52:02 PM »

Thanks, John.  Another ham emailed me who had a Tarheel mounted to the bed rail right behind the driver.  He said if he were to change anything, he would get a headache rack and mount the Tarheel higher -- just like where yours is mounted.

What kind of HF antenna is that, BTW?
Bob/N7ZF
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 08:42:07 PM »

I have my Hustler Mobile antennas mounted behind the cab and has always been a very good setup for me.  Attached is a picture of my setup with 5th wheel trailer.  Mounted in such a way, no interference with the front cap of the RV.  Long with the HF antennas, the 'Headache Rack' has my vhf/uhf/cb antennas mounted on it, for a 'no hole in the roof' setup.  I know everyone will have a different opinion on this subject.......

John W6ZKH

Hey, that looks like MY dog!
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 08:43:40 PM »

I wouldn't do that. One of the major issues, besides placing as much metal mass under the antenna, is minimizing the metal along side!

But Alan...that's exactly you mounted YOUR antenna.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Did you get a "get-out-of-physics-free card?"
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 10:23:37 PM »

You should check out www.chameleonantenna.com , they have good reviews at eham , and its yahoo group .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: