Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRZ and Gigaparts  (Read 848 times)
K8UPA

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2005, 03:09:36 PM »

I noticed that every once in a while that my computer temporarily slows down/locks up when viewing anything on qrz.com  When it happens I always see.."waiting for gigaparts.com" on the task bar.  I run a lot of spyware and it never comes up but strikes me as a wierd deal, what's up with that?  Never really paid attention before but happens quite often.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 04:20:58 PM »

QRZ apparently has GigaParts as one of their advertisers.  To help defray the cost of the website, we view banners from the advertisers when we visit sites such as QRZ.  If the content of that banner is provided by the advertiser itself, (e.g., GigaParts) a slow connection or other temporary slowdown of the banner information will hold up the updating of the QRZ page.
    There's no necessary chicanery or underhanded activity (such as spyware) involved.
K8UPA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 12:03:44 AM »

I wasn't trying to suggest they were doing anything sly it was just something I happened to notice.  I don't click on the advertiser icons when this occurs, but say, changing forums,  or even the wait when going to another website,  will bring this up on the task bar from time to time.  Just something I was curious about, thanks.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 05:15:40 PM »

K8UPA---

I visit both, URLs daily...I never go to Gigaparts via QRZ site...I use direct: gigaparts.com ...just have the slow dial-up procedure...Never any problems

BUT, I do run Ad-aware SE and Spybot, each about
3-times each week, for spyware...Both programs are
free via download, from their URLs
K8UPA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 04:51:34 AM »

Thanks, I think I must have confused the question though.  I'm not talking about going to the gigaparts url at all.  Just happened to notice that I see "transfering data from gigaparts.com"  on my system bar come up a lot when on the site when viewing a forum, switching forums, or waiting to get to another website.  Was just curious, never had a problem over it.
KI4DYA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 06:18:02 PM »

The banner ad for Gigaparts is not actually hosted on the QRZ webserver.

What you're seeing is the delay from THEIR server to your web browser as the page updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: