Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane IKE Costs, 3rd Highest In U.S. History  (Read 1327 times)
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 04:55:35 AM »

W7ETA writes: "Aren't government subsidies to people who get health care great!"

You mean things like Medicare, Medicaid, disability benefits, government employee benefits...

Take the former governor of Alaska, who quit recently, less than halfway through her first term.

I read that she and her family get free, taxpayer funded health care *for life*. Yeah, that's the self-reliant Alaskan spirit for ya - you betcha!

W7ETA: "Thats the American way--tax everyone and everything and then funnel those $$$ to a select few."

Everyone doesn't get taxed equally, though.

W7ETA: "Tax everyone, everything and provide the same identical heath benefits to everyone is un-American!"

Yep, it works far too well in other countries, like France, Japan, Germany, Canada....

In America we can't do things the same as other countries, because that might be an admission that somebody else had a better idea. Wouldn't be prudent.

Instead we'll let prices rise and rise, more and more people will go uninsured or bankrupt, employers will hold off on hiring because of the cost of medical insurance, and Big Pharma and Big Insurance will rake it in.

It's the American way!

--

Ham radio connection: Many hams are eligible for Medicare, Social Security, and other senior-citizen benefits. Or they will be soon. A lot of the folks you hear on the air are retired or will soon be.

How many hams would be willing to completely dismantle all those programs and simply buy their own medical care, insurance, retirement plans, etc. on the open market? Paying the going rate to for-profit private industry?

If you ask "what about the taxes I paid into those plans all these years?", we'd have the government pay you back, with interest, all the money you put in. Over the same number of years you put it in. And when it's all gone, you don't get any more.

Would that be OK? How many hams would go for such a system?

73 de Jim, N2EY
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 11:14:29 AM »

>If you ask "what about the taxes I paid into those plans all these years?", we'd have the government pay you back, with interest, all the money you put in. Over the same number of years you put it in. And when it's all gone, you don't get any more.

Would that be OK? How many hams would go for such a system?<

::If it was paid back over the same period of time I made contributions, I couldn't go for it unless I can live two lifetimes.  I've been paying into SS, Medicare, Long Term Disability, State Unemployment Insurance, etc. since I was 14 years old, and that's 44 years now.

I'm not going to live another 44 years, so payback over the same time period wouldn't work well.

However if I could get it back in one lump -- all of it -- upon retirement, I'd gladly accept that in lieu of ongoing benefits.

And why shouldn't it be paid back in one lump?  They've got it all...

WB2WIK/6
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 12:00:46 PM »

WIK, no they don't have it all. It has been borrowed and spent. Where will the money come from to pay the owed money back? From general tax revenues. You get to pay for it twice. Cool, huh?
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 02:13:59 PM »

Its even simpler.  Get employer paid health care (instead of $$$$ to buy your own) and not have to pay income tax on it, and you've received a government subsidy.  Plus, since tax revenue has decreased, over all taxation has to increase.

Government subsidies to those who can afford to buy a house.  

Government subsidies for having children.

Subsidies to a few, provided by the many, with the result of having to increase taxes on the many.

Bob
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 02:32:33 PM »

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need. Karl Marx.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 04:22:55 PM »

hi,

US has very large  military and that cost money, big time,
plus we also pay for NATO and many other defense stuff.

the other countries are much smaller in size, even smaller then
many US States do not have that expense, the have USA to spend
our money to protect them.

If US did not have the big expense of our military then we could
afford to give coverage to everyone like the smaller countries.

73 james
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 04:49:51 PM »

I think the horse has been dead for a long time.  Why not take your carping, bickering and backbiting to a wider sudience?
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 01:24:49 AM »

Government is more than just Guns vrs Butter.  It seem as if billions are siphoned off thru Earmarks and more Billions go to the health and welfare of on-Americans via foreign aide.
KU5Q

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 11:19:18 AM »

"RE: There is a reason...       Reply
by N2EY on February 9, 2010    Mail this to a friend!
K5END asks: "Does this mean that my health care management will be done as poorly as was the Katrina mop up?"

Nope.

Katrina was a mess for a bunch of reasons. The primary problem was that so much of Nawlins is below sea level, and located between the river and the lake. When the inadequately maintained levees failed, massive flooding was the result.

Why people live in such a place is beyond me. We've known that the city is slowly sinking for centuries, yet they rebuild in the same place!

People who had no reason to stay were not evacuated. No excuse for that.

Inadequate planning and response at all levels. for just one example, the then-head of FEMA was a Bush 2 political appointee with NO prior experience in emergency management. NONE. That he was even considered for the job proves incompetence in very high places.

Health care is a completely different thing. Do you think the system we have now is well-run? Cost-effective? Sustainable in the long run?

Would you like to dismantle Medicare, and when you reach senior citizen status, buy all your health insurance on the open market?

People complain that "the government" can't do anything right. But it was "the government" who built the interstate highway system, rural electrification, bridges, tunnels, airports, dams and much more, like the Panama Canal. Also things like human beings on the moon.

Not that government should do everything, but they do manage some things OK."

=================================================

Jim, when do you reckon they will be able to legislate a proper moral conscience in this country?
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 06:27:29 PM »

KU5Q asks: "when do you reckon they will be able to legislate a proper moral conscience in this country?"

That depends on how you define "proper moral conscience".

73 de Jim, N2EY
KU5Q

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 06:10:26 AM »

RE: There is a reason...       Reply
by N2EY on February 13, 2010    Mail this to a friend!
KU5Q asks: "when do you reckon they will be able to legislate a proper moral conscience in this country?"

That depends on how you define "proper moral conscience".

73 de Jim, N2EY

========================================================

N2EY-"That depends on how you define "proper moral conscience".

Whichever one *N2EY* has at this moment.......
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 08:35:08 AM »

If government completely takes over health care a la Europe yes there will be rationing of care (there is and has been rationing in private health care). But the percentage of GDP devoted to health care will be relatively fixed. All folks will receive health care at a certain level. Those with more money can purchase private plans as they do in Europe. There will still be a disparity in the level of health care.

On the other hand, if health care is left to run as is has, the price of health care will continue to rise as a percentage of GDP. The folks without health insurance are then covered, as they are now, by a patch work of government services or none. There will still be a disparity in the level of health care.

It comes down to this: Do those who can now afford private health insurance wish to pay the same (or more) for lesser services so that everyone will have (equal) health care?

As with most (all?) things this rule applies:

Good
Cheap
Fast

Pick any two.
K4FH

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 05:25:23 AM »

"DY vasectomy"

That would be an easy one.  all you need is a box to hold the few items you pick up from the Tractor Supply Store.   Of course it would not be pleasant for the man that used this tool for a few weeks but eventually it would work out Smiley
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: