Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Labtop for Flex radio ?  (Read 3770 times)
N5RWJ

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2010, 07:22:24 PM »

Are they're ready made laptops that will work with the flex 3000 radio , or must you have one built ?
WD8KNI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 04:44:34 PM »

My understanding is that the newer Flex radio's are not using the computer sound card.  You only need a USB port.  The older radios required a sound card.  The problem with most notebooks when using the sound card is the quality of the sound card, and the fact that the input is a mono 1/8" connector, the older ones and other SDK radio require stereo input.. Fred
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 08:57:09 PM »

A Flex3000 has a Firewire interface. You'd need a laptop with a built-in Firewire, or a PCMCIA adapter.
WASKG5OY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 11:06:51 PM »

Yes, Flex rigs use Firewire , not USB nor sound card interface.
  Latop or desktop one would want one with a decent mid range or better dual core grade CPU with minimum
of 1 MB worth of cache (taken from Flex radio sites knowledge base) 

Regarding PCMCIA cards aka PCM. PCMCIA is dead and had been for some years. I dont think a
laptop has been made with such slots recently (some years...like 5 plus years). 

Express Cards is what they are called now. Same thing only newer and better and different pin out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExpressCard .

So, a new laptop buyer will want to look for that listed. From my recent research not all laptops come with such.

I too am interested in Flex rigs and am pondering what PC to build. I keep coming around to a laptop as a dedicated unit for
the SDR radio as a better option but i"ve yet to make up my mind.

From what I've read lately whilst researching is a couple tenets:

Built in firewire on desktop pc's mother boards can be problematic with SDR and the rule of thumb appears to be the best bet
is use a plug in Firewire ONLY card using the Texas Instruments chipset.  One does not want a multi purpose plug in
firewire card. It has to do with interrupt latency and such... Multifunction cards have latency issues that can dork with the
SDR timing. Mobo based Firewire tends to have similar issues. It seems a shot in the dark if it will work. I base this on reading not on first hand experience with Flex rigs...

I'd post links but a quick Google search and some reading at the Flex radio site in the knowledge base would turn this info  up.

As for laptops with built in firewire. I suppose the same rule may apply. I've not found much material from hams using
laptops and Flex rigs.  Based on what little I've found it appears if the built in firewire on the laptop is not up to snuff
a dedicated Express Card firewire plug-in can work better.

In my recent search for laptops I've discovered a good many made these days do not have built in Firewire.

It sure would be nice to hear from Flex rig owners who are using a laptop to run the SDR software and give some solid
reports.

Myself, I'm looking hard at the Asus  N61JQ-X1 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220696
  It's a bit more than I need to spend but for  the price it would be hard to beat. Has USB 3.0 included.
   1 k buck for a rig of that caliber is 'cheap'.

I've calculated I'd spend about 350 dollars building a Mini ATX system including a new monitor and that is
if I supply a spare Core2 CPU I have laying around.

The more I think about it the more attractive a laptop sounds.

So, laptop and Flex runners. POST your results!
 Please..
 Maybe I'd discover I could get by with a 600 dollar cheapi laptop.

Now, WB5UZI
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:28:23 PM »

This guy sells Flex ready computers including a T-60 Lenovo laptop customized for the Flex radio

http://abrohamnealsoftware.com/blog/

I just set up a Lenovo R61i for my F3k  You can read about it here

http://w9oy-sdr.blogspot.com/2010/02/orlando-hamcation-2010-plus-f3k-post.html

73  W9OY
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »

I tried the demo on a laptop and it didn't work. I asked and was told I needed a Firewire connection. My older Fujitsu tablet has a 4 pin Firewire and I bought a Dell adapter PCMCIA card for my HP. Now I am just deciding IF I really want to replace my Icom radios. I like the idea of using the 3000 since it is small and will be more portable than the 5000. But then I lose 2 meter and 440 with the 3000. Okay, I can use a transverter for that. So I guess I need to know if my laptop and the SDR is a good thing to trade UP? to or just remain with the hardware that I have used for so many years. I am reading and still deciding. I have to try the demo again to see how it goes.
Frank
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 09:54:12 PM »

I have the demo running on two laptops and it worked well. The recorded files that FlexRadio has on the web are good ones to listen to. I really like the way it lets to reset all the parameters for listening.
Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: