Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Computer; XP cannot find the hard drive  (Read 694 times)
X-WB1AUW

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2005, 02:36:58 PM »

Bought all the parts to plug together a computer.

When I start loading XP, it can't find the hard drive.

At first I thought it might be because the hard drive uses SATA connection; but, I added an old Western Digital, set up as the primary, and XP couldn’t find it either.

Any web sites that can help me?

TU
Bob, AE7G
KC8UJZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 06:22:42 AM »

I was using ME and upgraded to XP.  That night, I rebooted my computer to install a scanner, and it would not find the hard drive.  A friend told me to replace the IDE cable with a new one.  After I did this, my computer worked fine.  

KC8UJZ :-)
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 10:24:18 PM »

Bob, check your BIOS settings to make sure the computer can recognize the drive. If the hardware is't connected properly and the BIOS isn't configured properly, XP (or any OS) may not be able to find the drive.
KE4ZHN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 03:44:25 PM »

Bob, does the mother board use a raid array? If so, its possible you need to load the proper raid driver for the board to detect any hard drive. Windows will not do this on its own. You must load the proper driver in the early stages of system set up. I had this same problem on a raid board computer I built. No matter how you try, youll never be able to load the operating system until this driver is installed. Windows will prompt you to load a third party raid driver if one is required so that the mother board can communicate with the hard drive or drives. You can usually find it on the cd that comes with your mother board, or if you dont have one, try the manufacture sight online. The strange thing about this is, windows will load tons of set up files until it gets to a certain point in the install, then it will say cannot detect hard drive, this will drive you insane! Been there, done that. Good luck
X-WB1AUW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 06:07:48 PM »

Yes.

Files for RAID came on a floppy.

been trying to figure out how to load the files?

Bob
KE5CMU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 06:16:27 PM »

XP usually asks for that floppy during the install process.

Paul
PATMAN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 05:58:56 PM »

Hey Bob,

Normally on IDE raid type systems you must first install it on the regular IDE drive busses, after you do the install of the os you then install the raid drivers from the cd that comes with the mother board.  Then you should be able to unplug the ribbon cable from the IDE buss, and plug it into the raid controller buss, turn the machine back on should at that time boot up with raid....

Patrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: