Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSK31 can't connect for QSOs in the evening  (Read 949 times)
HS0ZFQ

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2010, 06:50:55 PM »

Hi to Everybody:
    I live in Northern Thailand and just started using PSK-31 on Jan 31 2010.  I have an IC-706, SignaLink, and a 2 EL HF quad for 20, 17 15, and 12 meters up about 60 feet.
    After the usual trials of setting up I started making contacts. As of today I have managed to make about 39 contacts, with thirteen of them being DXCC new entities.
     I noticed while looking at my log that 90 percent of my QSOs were between  about 0300Z and 0500Z with the remaining being between 0900Z and 1200Z. That translates out to 1000 to Noon and then 4PM to 6PM, or a little later. I have never been able to make a QSO after 1200Z-1900 local time. I hear European stations on the waterfall and sometimes they sound pretty good, but  I never hear them talking to Asian stations.I thought that if reciprocity is valid that if I hear them I should be able to work them. I routinely work them on cw. Somebody give me some ideas on this one, please.
Richard
HS0ZFQ
ChiangRai, Thailand
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 07:51:42 AM »

The difference is probably noise and QRM on their end that keeps them from hearing you.
HS0ZFQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 03:52:54 PM »

Now, that is an explanation that I can live with.The noise and qrm, meaning the density of stations in Europe is infinitely higher than in Thailand. There are very few Thais on HF , never mind digital, because it is too expensive.
    Thanks for the insight and if you have any more ideas send them my way. I will just live with that.
Richard
HS0ZFQ
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 02:01:01 PM »

Hello Richard,

You didn't mention which bands you were listening to while you can hear European stations but I presume it was 20 metres. Be reassured that if anyone in Europe can see your trace on the screen, the message will spread and you will be bombarded by the most horrendous noise you will ever have experienced !

I suggest that you move to 14.072 or 14.068 where its clear because the QRM, so I understand, is quite severe in mainland Europe, it isn't where I live !

I've noticed in recent weeks that even though traces are visible, often its impossible to decode the transmissions, quite why, I don't know. Its as thought the signals are not getting sufficient help from the ionosphere, and this is probably a good guess. Another problem is that far too many stations are now running excessive power, today I lost contact with a station in Hungary with a nice clean 25 watt trace. He was blasted off the band by a fat Russian signal with a red line down the centre registering 5/9 + 20  he continued doing this for an hour. I changed bands.

Mel G0GQK
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 03:07:22 PM »

>far too many stations are now running excessive power

I believe we have beat that horse dead on onother thread.

There is no such thing as over 25W being "excessive power".

It is especially strange that you are advocating keeping the power low to a guy that is complaining of not being "heard".

I'd like to now just how you determined that the station from Hungary had a clean "25W" trace and how the russian station was running excessive power versus overdriving his rig causing the "fat" signal.
If his signal was "clean" there would be no red line at  4, 25, or 400 watts.

Dimitri

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: