Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS 430 Transceiver Repair  (Read 1841 times)
WA6CWV

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:57:47 AM »

My TS430 finally quit working after about 25 years. I don't have the skills, patience or parts to fix it. Anyone have an idea where I could send it for repair or has it become a "parts" machine? TNX!! Russ
KB2DO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:23:09 AM »

I can't give a personal reference but you could checkout

www.k4eaa.com

robbie
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 11:43:58 AM »

Russ, as somebody who likes to repair and restore vintage HAM equipment, I wonder if it will be economical to pay somebody to repair your 430.  Of course the answer to that question depends on how much you have to spend, and how much you are willing to spend to get your 430 going again VS buying another working 430 or similar rig.  If you could do the trouble shooting and repair yourself, then I would recommend that it be repaired.

There are lots of excellent techs "out there" who will look at and repair your 430.  However just locating the problem or problems - trouble shooting - can be very time consuming.  Even if a tech only charges $20 an hour (rather low from my experience) it won't take long to accumulate a several hundred dollar labor bill just to locate the problem.  Then there is the cost of the part(s) and the labor to install it (them) and the cost to check out the rig when the repair is completed.

Only you can answer your question whether to repair or replace.  But the bottom line is (IMO) paying somebody to repair your 430 which is worth around $300 - $350 tops, can quickly become excessively expensive, unless something is obviously wrong and if it can be located quickly and if the part is not too expensive.

Good Luck.  I hope you make the right decision.

Dick  AD4U
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 12:13:14 PM »

Aside from whether the cost is justified, I can tell you that http://www.hamrepair.com/  did me right with my TS-440, consistent with his 5.0/5 in Reviews. I looked at it from the point of view that:

I had the radio, in good physical condition, but for the fault that made it useless except as a receiver.
As it sat, it was free. I paid for it a long time before, and it had repaid the purchase price already.
I could toss it or sell it for a song for parts.
Or I could have it fixed up to factory specs for considerably less than I could buy a 440 claiming to be in good working order.

I got it back repaired and gone through thoroughly and a few other, more subtle issues fixed.

So it wasn't a matter of putting more money into it. It was a matter of getting a good working radio for the repair price, which was real reasonable for the amount of work done. If someone came up and offered me a guaranteed in top working order 440 for what I paid to repair, I'd jump on it. I'll grant you there's a modest market price differential between the 430 and 440. But if I paid the same to have a 430 fixed up, I'd figure I got it for maybe a bit more than half price.

Of course, I'm kind of sucker for not throwing out good old equipment, just because it costs a bit to put it back working. I'm willing to pay an hour of bench time and shipping for an estimate to give an old radio a chance and see what they'll knock off the estimate fee, if I don't want to pay that much and let them keep it for parts.
WA6CWV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 01:41:48 PM »

Thanks for the advice all !!!! I think I will consider retiring the good old 430. Parts are difficult to come by, My eyesight is not what it was, and I have to choose between operating and trying to fix it.

Russ, Wa6CWV
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 06:05:21 PM »

Might I ask what parts are difficult to come by? Have you tried or just repeating what you have heard?

I haven't found a 430 yet I couldn't repair. And an estimate is $37.50

Clif
www.avvid.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: