The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to disassemble Nye Master Key?  (Read 1446 times)
N4KYW

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2010, 04:39:27 PM »

I need to disassemble my Nye Master Key to inspect the contacts and hopefully determine the cause of intermittence. Are the screws that hold the bottom cover to the base hidden beneath the rubber feet? If yes, how does one remove the rubber feet?
Thanks.
N4KYW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 04:06:49 AM »

No responses, so I shall answer the question myself. The Nye Master Key, at least the one I own, is equipped with black plastic screw head covers, that also serve as feet.
To expose the screws that attach the bottom cover to the base, use a knife to pop open the lid of each screw head cover, after which you will come face-to-face with the screw heads.
A simple rubbing of the key contacts with Comet Cleanser was apparently all that was needed to correct the intermittent problem.
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 05:38:15 PM »

I just got a Master Key (used) and it seems to have the flex issue with the bottom base some write of in the reviews.  There are two self-tapping screws in it -- but both are toward the back and not near the contact point.  

What is my best remedy?  a fifth foot just ion front of the contact point?  directly beneathe it?  It seems right now to come easily out of adjustment.  

However, as much as i want to write it off and sell it, something tells me i like it more than the newish  rectangular Nye Speed X type key i have.

any advice will be appreciated.
N4KYW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 03:31:25 AM »

Robert,
Mine was purchased used, too. When I dissembled it to clean the contacts I noticed what looked like a thin layer of J-B Weld epoxy between the insulator of the leaf switch and the bottom cover. I'm wondering whether that was an aftermerket fix for the problem you describe. Perhaps you can inspect yours and comment. Also, what kind of feet does your Master Key have?
I like the feel of this key, kinda soft in contrast to traditional straight keys that have hard contacts.
Howard, K4HAG
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 05:28:36 PM »

My Nye Master Key has black donut-like rubber feet, the center of which reveal philips head screws... maybe the covers are gone (or didn't exist on this incarnation?)  There is also a Nye Viking foil sticker on bottom with a phone number.

I read about a fifth foot underneathe the contact area being the simple fix -- and will try it.  I am also considering calling or emailing to see what Nye recommends...
N4KYW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 05:09:08 AM »

Thanks, Robert. Based on your description of the bottom feet I'm inclined to conclude that yours are the original style, if not the originals. Mine, I suspect, are "aftermarket," purchased in a hardware store. As I mentioned previously, they are really decorative screw head covers, not feet. Since they do not grip very well I will replace them soon with small rubber or vinyl feet.
I will also keep an eye out for the bottom cover warpage issue you mentioned.
One more thing. With four feet, I notice that the Master Key will wobble if the surface on which it is placed is the slightest bit uneven. I compared that to my Vibroplex semi-automatic key, which despite its size and weight has only three feet... one midway across the front and two at the paddle end. From high school geometry I recall that onely three points are required to define a unique plane (i.e., flat surface). Thus, all three feet of keys so equipped should in theory come to rest on any surface and therefore the key should never wobble.
Howard
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 07:12:42 PM »

Here is a pic of the way the bottom of mine looks -- this one is listed on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=290406872291

Mine had the intermittent problem crop up and took mine apart.  Not what I would have guessed inside but I like the key.  I emailed Nye about the flexing of the base plate issue and the coming out of adjustment this leads to and they called and left a voicemail suggesting self-tapping screws as a fix.  Kind of surprising that they don't have a fix posted on their website since they recommend that so readily...
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 07:16:30 PM »

here is a better link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290406872291

(enlarge the pic and scroll over the second pic of the bottom)
N4KYW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 10:44:56 AM »

Thanks again, Robert. Your photos have confirmed that the feet on my key are aftermarket, and improvised. I need to find some small feet (vinyl preferred over rubber) to replace those silly cosmetic screw head covers masquerading as feet.
Something else I noticed. When I opened the thing up to clean the contacts I observed that in addition to two mounting screws the base of the leaf switch had been epoxyed to the bottom cover. Wonder whether your leaf switch was epoxyed, too.
Also, it wasn't long after I cleaned the contacts that the intermittent problem returned. I suspect I never really fixed anything and still don't know what the real issue is.
Howard, N4KYW [ex. K4HAG]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: