Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RV Remote  (Read 400 times)
K7FD

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2005, 04:12:24 PM »

If anyone is interested, I setup a router in my RV this past week. With two laptops on the same network and using XP's Remote Desktop Connection, I am free to control my mobile rig from anywhere the 2.4GHz Netgear can reach.

So far, I have operated from Starbucks coffee shop. I only use CW, so using a microHAM usb rig controller, Ham Radio Deluxe, and UA9OV's CWType. I just park my RV and then fire up the laptops, taking one inside with me...

For audio, I use Sennheiser 900MHz headphones and it works great. Everybody thinks I'm listening to music...

...and I am: CW on 40 meters!

73 John K7FD
K7FD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 11:22:28 PM »

Update: I since have replaced the 900MHz wireless headphones by streaming audio directly through the soundcard and router. The 900MHz headphones were a bit spotty and out of range at times. The IC706MKIIG receiver audio fed directly through the router is 100% solid and works well at greater distances...

73 John K7FD
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 07:27:26 PM »

GREAT idea!

So many parks/campgrounds have 802.11b/g access, I have considered an external 2.4GHz antenna and router too.

I would like to build a BTX form computer and embed it in one of the storage compartments, perhaps even replace the TV with a flat screen monitor and fill the void behind the flat screen with the computer.

Put a TV tuner card in the computer, use a PDA as a remote terminal to control the TV. Let the computer run my map program and let me see the maps on the display.

ALL kinds of neat things could be done.
N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 09:17:20 PM »

You should write an article on your project and upload it to the articles section here on eham. It's really easy if you use Word for the article. Just describe how it's all hooked up and the equipment you used and don't forget to make a drawing of how it's all hooked up! No matter how well you do the article there will be some here that will have something negative to say, just ignore them! After you do a few articles they become fun. I really enjoy the people that post before actually following any links or truly understanding what's going on, they start looking pretty dumb down the thread. It's payback without needing to say or do anything! (wink-wink, nudge-nudge;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: