The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legality of FDC FD-150A radio in United States?  (Read 604 times)
KB3TIX

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2010, 07:29:35 PM »

I have been looking at the following radio, seen in a review here on eHam...

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7191

The price-point is likely too good to be true, but regardless, my question is about the device's legality...

Although the device is capable of being used legally, it is equally capable of being used illegally and I am reasonably sure it's not sanctioned by the FCC in any way.

I don't want an FCC fine any more than I want a $40 paperweight, so it would be great it someone could enlighten me as to whether it is legal or advisable to use this device as an amateur radio as others appear to have done.

Thanks!

Matt / KB3TIX
K6SDW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 07:41:58 PM »

The FCC got gutted way back in the Reagan era (less government if you'll remember) so I wouldn't worry much about being fined by the agency...they are truly "gutless" ....

But I do respect your concern about doing what is right, that's the way it used!!

K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 09:55:31 PM »

“The FCC got gutted way back in the Reagan era”

That is news to me and anyone dealing with the FCC. Their budget has grown over 500% from 1980. The FCC is packed with every out of work lawyer they can cram into beltway.

In 1980 the FCC budget was just over 61,000,000.00

In 1989 the FCC budget was just over 98,000,000.00, a 60% increase from 1980.

In 2009 the budget was just over 338 million, a 336% increase from 1989 and a 554% increase from 1980.

I wish my income had increase that much over 29 years.

Now there my be no one left at the FCC that has a technical background but math and science has never been a strong suite with anyone in Washington.
W9XAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 04:35:49 AM »

My understanding of Part 97 is that (unlike most other licensed services) there is no "type approval" required for amateur equipment.  The operator is solely responsible for compliance with the standards set by FCC regulations (think spectral purity, FM bandwidth, power output, etc.).
In other words, if the radio meets the standards, and you use it only within the terms of your license, you should not have any problems.
Please add here all the usual disclaimers (IANAL, YMMV, and so on).  I am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong about any of this.
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 05:13:06 AM »

Anyone who thinks we have a smaller government (or FCC) in the past 30 years hasnt been paying attention!

On the radios, if they're made for the ham band only, technically you dont need FCC approval. What you DO have to be certain of is that the harmonics that fall OUT of the ham bands are down sufficiently. You can find that info in the CFR or the manufacturer might have it.
KB3TIX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 09:58:26 AM »

Thank you very much everyone for the good and friendly advice!

My gut feeling here is to not pursue this radio because of the overall legal ambiguity and the fact that I am very much a beginner in ham radio at this point.

It may well work for some and work legally, but I am not going to take that determination upon myself at this point in time.  Better, in my opinion, to play it safe in all aspects!

Thank you all very much and 73s!

KB3TIX / Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: