Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Online Net Logging  (Read 645 times)
KC9LJK

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2005, 05:50:49 PM »

Hi all,

I'm looking for some input.

My first question is:

Do you think there would be any interest in an online logging system for nets? The idea is that the net control would manage the net through an online application (web based), recording data like callsign, traffic and other important information. Members of the net can watch the site in real-time and keep up on what's going on. In addition, they can come back later and grab details that they may need. I think this would be great for swap nets and things of that nature.

Second: As a net control operator, what features would be useful?

Third: As a net participant, what features would you like to see?

I've started this project but wanted to see if there would be any major intereste in it.

A final question: would you be interested in using a personal version of this. Still web based but for individual hams. This would allow access to all of your data from any computer that has an internet connection.

Thanks for all your help,
Drew
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 06:00:46 AM »

The first question that comes to mind is:

Who is paying for this whole thing?  If it isn't free, I don't see much of a groundswell developing here.

Dennis KG4RUL
KC9LJK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 09:39:23 AM »

Minimal fees, maybe $25 a year or something small, just to cover costs. That fee would be for net operators or users that would use the personal log service. It would be free for users to view nets. If enough people used the service, advertising could help offset the fees.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 01:27:40 PM »

What type of net, specifically, do you envision using something like this?

Interesting idea, but on first look, I think you have a solution in search of a problem.
KC9LJK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 05:22:29 AM »

Sorry for the delay in responding. Been kinda busy. Anyway, in response to the ? of what kind of net, I would assume any type of net. Swap, weather, news.
I would use it all the time (That is why I'm making it) I hate driving around listening to a net and missing information that tracking a person down later to find out what I either missed or couldn't write down.

I assume other people would use it as a personal logging tool. I am on multiple computers through the day and was looking for a way to access the same data from any of them. That is what got me going on this idea.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 09:23:21 AM »

Shoot, why not eliminate the RF side and just setup a conferencing server.  No problems with QRM or QRN, no pesky radios to tune, no antennas to erect and maintain and everbody gets 59 RSTs.

Dennis KG4RUL
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 11:58:35 AM »

Netlogger http://www.thenetlogger.org already does this, but it uses a custom windows interface. It would be useful if there were a web interface to it, so thos of us who don't do windows could use it also.
KC9LJK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 08:55:36 AM »

AB2RC, thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Dennis, calm down buddy. One of the reasons I've been reluctant to become a ham is due to the narrow mentality that unfortunately many hams have and that is "If it doesn't have an antenna it's not ham!" Well you know what, being a ham isn't just about RF anymore. Times change, technology evolves and so do the interests of members of the ham community. I am fascinated by anything radio and electronics but that�s not all. The great thing about this hobby is the ability to experiment, learn and develop new things. The project I am working on is in no way, shape or form meant to replace ham radio.... only to compliment it.

It is so irritating to see message boards where one ham after another complains about computers, the internet and all of the other technology's that are going to  "Kill Ham Radio".

In my experience, it is a rush to make a contact half way around the world with nothing more than a radio and antenna, however, to be able to introduce another technology to such an already amazing method of communication and let the two compliment each other so well, in my opinion... is one of the greatest feelings.

Ham radio is about learning, sharing and providing a service to the public, not restricting ourselves and thinking "inside the box". It�s fine if you choose not to try something new, but please, Dennis, don�t put others down for wanting to be creative forward thinking.

Drew
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 10:45:36 AM »

If a "net" does not involve RF and Antennas it is not a real traffic net.  The POINT of net operation is to train to be able pass traffic, accurately under ALL conditions.  If you only know how to pass traffic over the internet, and it is not available when is is needed, then you are a hindrance not a help.  Traffic nets that depend on the internet to function are merely glorified chatrooms.  Sugar coating it will NOT change that fact.

Dennis KG4RUL
KC9LJK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 07:20:27 PM »

Hi Dennis,

I think we might be on different frequencies here (a little ham humor� ha ha ha). This isn't a web only thing. It is to be used during a net (on the radio). People can participate in the net (over the radio) and at the same time see and up to date log of what has happened via the web. It is also to be used after a net (on the radio) to pickup any missed info or to grab details that may have been missed. The only person that is posting to the website for the net, is net control. The other users are only reading. It�s nothing like a chat room at all.

Maybe that clears things up. I think maybe you thought this was a chat room or something. That is not the case.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Drew
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 09:29:38 PM »

OK, I see that it is controlled by the Net Control Station.  

However, the real-time aspect of it may tend to encourage listeners to fall into sloppy operating habits.  i.e. Why listen that close when I can read it off a screen.  

IMHO, nets should train users in real-world conditions.  The Internet connections will likely not be available in a real disaster situation.

It still reads like a solution looking for a problem to me.

Dennis KG4RUL
KC9LJK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 11:36:13 PM »

I'm sure we could go round and round about this but my goal isn't to get in a fight with anyone... I just wanted to know if anyone else would be interested in something like this. You say it's a solution in search of a problem. For me it's the solution TO a problem and I thought maybe someone else�s as well and even though you don't have a need for something like this, someone else may.

Thanks for your opinions and time.

Drew
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: