Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NC-173 and a Schlitz - Ham in 1951 Beer Ad  (Read 6806 times)
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 08:12:49 AM »

Unfortunately that's coming up "404 - Not Found".

OK, it's at the bottom of this page:
http://www.dashtoons.com/Feedline_Falt.html
K1NSS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 04:24:14 PM »

It's my dashtoons.com site/page Geoff AE4RV kindly references -- here's an update.  Prompted by this thread, I clicked my own link and discovered the US Navy Museum store no longer seems to list prints of the John Falter painting on which the WWII WAVES "It's a Woman's War Too!" poster is based. Store search turned up nothing.  I queried the store via email, and will relay any answer I receive.  Reproductions of the poster are available variously online, which you can find, using the above title in quotes."  What the store previously offered was a repro of the original painting, from which the image in the poster was tightly cropped. In the painting the operator is surrounded by a Rembrandt rich darkness, which is very atmospheric and adds to the drama of her pose and luminosity of her face.  I especially like the "dark space" because it mirrors what it's like to be lost your mind's eye "view" of the signals one hears -- at it's most abstract and beautiful as dense CW traffic. The museum store originally offered posters of the painting in several sizes and a couple of repro qualities.  I feared, without direct evidence, that the significantly more expensive repro was some sort of cheesy faux textural effect to mimic a painting, so I opted for the cheapo repro, which turned out fine for my less-than-museum quality shack. Once I hear from the USN Museum store I'll correct and amend my Falter Feedline page.  73 Jeff K1NSS & Dash! The Dog-Faced Ham
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 04:49:04 PM by K1NSS » Logged
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 04:58:21 PM »

Of all the call signs, on the QSL cards in the background, one is a real call - W3AOA!
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 05:55:30 AM »

"Once I hear from the USN Museum store I'll correct and amend my Falter Feedline page.  73 Jeff K1NSS & Dash! The Dog-Faced Ham"

Let us know. It seems they don't sell prints any more.

(And Hi, Jeff!)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:59:38 AM by AE4RV » Logged
K1NSS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 06:55:05 AM »

Hey Geoff,

Heard nothing from USN Museum Store.  Did a little search and came up with this pricey option: http://www.requestaprint.net/navy/gallery.php?gallery_id=20 They offer reproductions of the original painting as well as the poster.  Their "Standard Prints" start at $75.  BTW, I came across an original 14 x20 recruiting  card for sale at $275, http://www.dpvintageposters.com/cgi-local/detail.cgi?d=6077 so if anyone has enough mad money to drop for the fancier repro/framing options, going full partial boat might be in reach!  For the rest of us, the Library of Congress repro service might be the most affordable route: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/92505327/

Jeff K1NSS
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 07:11:13 AM »

You can get a hi-res digital file here (see bottom of page). This is what I printed and framed for my shack.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/I?awhbib:11:./temp/~ammem_fM4N::displayType=1:m856sd=cph:m856sf=3b08665:@@@mdb=mcc,gottscho,detr,nfor,wpa,aap,cwar,bbpix,cowellbib,calbkbib,consrvbib,bdsbib,dag,fsaall,gmd,pan,vv,presp,varstg,suffrg,nawbib,horyd,wtc,toddbib,mgw,ncr,ngp,musdibib,hlaw,papr,lhbumbib,rbpebib,lbcoll,alad,hh,aaodyssey,magbell,bbc,dcm,raelbib,runyon,dukesm,lomaxbib,mtj,gottlieb,aep,qlt,coolbib,fpnas,aasm,denn,relpet,amss,aaeo,mff,afc911bib,mjm,mnwp,rbcmillerbib,molden,ww2map,mfdipbib,afcnyebib,klpmap,hawp,omhbib,rbaapcbib,mal,ncpsbib,ncpm,lhbprbib,ftvbib,afcreed,aipn,cwband,flwpabib,wpapos,cmns,psbib,pin,coplandbib,cola,tccc,curt,mharendt,lhbcbbib,eaa,haybib,mesnbib,fine,cwnyhs,svybib,mmorse,afcwwgbib,mymhiwebib,uncall,afcwip,mtaft,manz,llstbib,fawbib,berl,fmuever,cdn,upboverbib,mussm,cic,afcpearl,awh,awhbib,sgp,wright,lhbtnbib,afcesnbib,hurstonbib,mreynoldsbib,spaldingbib,sgproto,scsmbib,afccalbib,mamcol

I swear that is not a joke URL. This version has what appears to be water spots on it, though. I remember spending some time in Photoshop "cloning them up" some. If anyone wants my somewhat restored file write me via QRZ and I'll see if I can dig it up.

73, Geoff
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: