Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Premium Receivers.  (Read 14315 times)
AH6GI

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 03:29:52 AM »

Sienna beats the Harris RF-3200?  

I'm thinking of the base receiver without the front panel but with the 4.5 Roofing filter because it measures at 5.6 kHz, 6 db point, the 6.0 kHz 9 mHz filter, and the 5.8 kHz 455 Collins mechanical filter.

I just checked DZKIT.com, they put up a link to INRAD.net.  INRAD has a full suite of Sienna filters including 125 Hz, 250 Hz, 300 Hz, 400 Hz, 500 Hz, and 1,000 Hz CW filters.  

For AM, the Sienna can be loaded up with 22 poles of filtering.  Talk about a brick wall.  

de ah6gi/4
WB6VHK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 12:04:40 PM »

I am not sure beating the RF-3200 is saying all that much...The Harris RF-3200 is a pretty basic transceiver, No bells or whistles at all. ARRL has a few of them at W1AW, I think they are used mostly for transmitting bulletins. There was such a difference between the Harris and the Sienna, I actually went out to my garage and dragged my signal generator into the house to check the sensitivity on the Harris..( turned out to be ok ). I can't wait to get the Sienna loaded up with filters, It should only get better......73
AH6GI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 04:30:56 AM »

=== More on the D Z K I T - Sienna Filters ===

The INRAD link (INRAD is an eHam.net advertiser) is at:

<http://www.inrad.net/home.php?cat=152>

The Sienna has amazing filter features.  If you have a filter at 9 mHz and one at 455 kHz, your signals pass through both.  There is a small amount of attenuation but if you look at the Sienna diagram, there is ample IF gain.  

Two 8 pole 1800 kHz filters (one at the 9 mHz IF and one at the 455 IF) works like a 16 pole filter. Reminds me of Signal/One. The skirts are steep, the blow-by is small, this lets you "dig the signals" out.

Even better, you can mix and match the filters.  The stock 2.4 kHz backed up by the optional 5.8 kHz Collins mechanical filter (usable on SSB/CW and AM) can be "slid around", windowed against each other.

I verified that the Sienna has this capability.  With a few filters you effectively have many, many filters.  This is like a DSP radio.  The filters are expensive.  Each filters adds to the overall capabilities.  You don't have to get them all at once. 6 optional filters snap in from the bottom.

For CW ops, the dual 400 Hz filters are a brick wall AND they can windowed to form 380 Hz, 350 Hz, 280 Hz, etc, IF passbands.  

For hard core CW ops, Sienna offers a 250 Hz filter and INRAD has a 125 Hz offering!  The 250 Hz filter is more "brick wall" than making a windowed 250 Hz filter by moving two 400 Hz filters against each other.  

Either a 250 Hz filter or the two 400 Hz crystal filters forming a 250 Hz window, (this is MY UNEDUCATED OPINION UNVERIFIED BY INSTRUMENTED TESTS.) is a better filter than a DSP filter.  DSP radio vendors talk about the filter widths but they say little about ultimate rejection and how "brick wall" their filter solution is.

DZKIT is onto something terrific. (again, my opinion)

I am eager to test Sienna with a modest set of typical filters against a good DSP radio.  Anyone object to calling a Ten-Tec Jupiter a good DSP radio?  I think it has a great reputation.  

Part of the fun of Ham Radio is learning and testing new and old concepts.  I am kinda down on DSP and SDR. I'm an old ham, licensed in 1963, analog radios, many with tubes, most are Round 'n Green.  

de ah6gi/4 The fun is in the doing.
AH6GI

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 07:11:45 PM »

=== D Z K I T - possible Sienna Configuration ===

The INRAD link (INRAD is an eHam.net advertiser) is at:

<http://www.inrad.net/home.php?cat=152>

DZKIT Sienna link:

<http://www.dzkit.com/sienna_main.htm>

I've been thinking and rethinking the options and after I recover from the snowmageddon that hit this area, I'll order the base receiver with these filter upgrades.

Replace standard 15/20 kHz Roofing filter with the 5.6 kHz (6 db points measured by DZKIT) INRAD roofing filter.  

Add Option 207 a 6kHz crystal filter at the 2nd IF for AM, it's not clear how that affects the standard 2.4 kHz 4 pole SSB filter or if the 2.4 kHz filter is NOT in a solder-in slot.

Add IF Filter Package 4, a 5.8kHz Collins mechanical filter at the 3rd IF.  This replaces a solder-in 20 kHz ceramic filter.

It's also not clear how "tight" the effective IF passband can be made by sliding the 2.4 kHz filter against the 5.8 kHz Collins mechanical filter.

de ah6gi/4
KB0ASQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 09:07:16 AM »

I just got this rig on the air.

Excellent quality and I am really impressed by the performance.  When I compare it to my IC-746Pro, it takes the edge and I really like my ICOM.

You can follow the build at http://w0wwv.org/index.php/board,21.0.html

Allen
KBØASQ

Allen KBØASQ
http://kb0asq.com
AH6GI

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 02:00:04 PM »

Thanks for the info and the report on the front panel.

The Sienna is the best thing that's come around for kit-types in decades.

I don't mean this to reflect negatively on Elecraft, which I have no experience with. In fact, Elecraft was one of my options for my "best and final" radio. I was mulling over the K2.  Take a year or so to build it nice.  What fun!

Ditto Ten-Tec.  I'm a fan of Ten-Tec and was about to order their Argonaut V as my main rig.  The Argo-V did just about everything I wanted.  

K2, Argo-V, K2, Argo-V? While I like soldering, the general coverage receiver in the Argo-V tipped the scales.

Then Ten-Tec canceled the Argo-V.

Broken hearted, my next choice was the Jupiter. There is a value rig. It's moose of a radio compared to a K2 or Argo-V but it's got a great rep and amazing features for the price.  CW decoder, type to send Morse, general coverage receiver, software filters, poor man's band scope, ton of power.  It should drive my 30L-1 very nicely, perhaps the AD5X QSK kit will work with the pair.  Wouldn't that be too cool.

So now the DZKIT Sienna roars onto the scene, serious features, build it yourself, build it with exactly the options you want, the "Best and Final".

Meld the 100 watt Sienna with an AD5X updated 30L-1, way cool.  

de ah6gi/4
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: