Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Illegal CB Amp on Ebay? File a Complaint !  (Read 7092 times)
KA6MLE

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2010, 09:33:25 AM »

Well I would suggest as legal Amateur Radio operators that we take action now. How? I'm glad you asked. :^)

Slow the flow of the sale of illegal CB amplifiers. ..especially on Ebay. Send the seller a notification that you are reporting the violation to the FCC. There are many amps that aren't certified and are illegal to use.

Here is what the FCC requires:
- An original advertisement or web address where the illegal equipment is being advertised or offered for sale.

- If it is a web-auction we will need the name of the auction site, the exact item number, and the auction opening and closing dates.

- Name and address of the individual or business offering the item(s) for sale.

- Complainant's name and telephone number in the event follow-up is necessary. (Name and telephone number can be kept confidential, if requested.)

- Specifically, why you think the equipment is not in compliance with FCC rules.

- Number of pieces or types of equipment about which the allegations are being made (one piece, five pieces, how many models etc.)
You file electronically right here:

https://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

-----------------
Ebay will do NOTHING. Lets flood the FCC and the sellers on Ebay with our displeasure.

If the FCC gives a unsatisfactory answer, time to write our Congressman.

Just a thought... :^)
James
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 09:42:47 AM »

As I looked at this post, an ad popped up in the margin for selling CB Linears.

Now, that's funny!
WA4JM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 09:46:20 AM »

Why?  The FCC gets flooded with complaints about pirate radio activity and chooses to ignore "unless" there is an interference issue.  CB amps are just that CB amps.  No licensed ham with half a brain would buy and operate one.  The FCC up gave years ago policing CB radio.  I guess the message here is, "It's OK for CB'er to use a type accepted amp on CB?"  I have better things to do than police E-Bay.  Are you by chance an OO?
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 09:50:31 AM »

E-Bay is an International marketplace.
Although illegal in the FCC juristicion, they are perfectly legal in other countries, just not popular.
73s.

-Mike.
W5GNB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 10:07:16 AM »

Actually those amplifiers are LEGAL for use on the amateur bands as long as they meet emission specifications and have been "Modified" by you as a FCC Licensed amateur operator.

This means you may have to put various filters on the output or perhaps even redesign some parts of it.

You just can't "Legally" use them on CB within the FCC controlled jurisdictions.
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »

Why should I do that?Huh  I am not the PO-LICE, Fuzz, or whatever creative names are used today!  In the case of the FCC, they cannot even PO-LICE 14.275 MHz!!!!  Why bother, then?

73 and
WD8T

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 11:16:53 AM »

Give us a break!!!! What does someone selling illegal CB amplifiers on eBay have to do with Amateur Radio?

One word...NOTHING!!! So I suggest you start looking for other items on eBay related to your hobby,
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 11:28:24 AM »

I vote we do nothing.  I would rather that the personalities who choose to use such linear amps in an illegal fashion continue do to so on 11 meters.

I came to this conclusion after listening to some incredible filth on 75 meters, enquiring about it of an elmer.  He said that gang had first started their nightly X-rated joke-a-thons on 11 meters, but a bunch of hams drove them off 11 meters by sic'ing the FCC on them....so they became 20 wpm Extras many years ago and now hold forth in the ham bands.

You won't change the behavior of the people, so be content that they're doing this outside our bands.

- k
VA3DXV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 11:42:19 AM »

Since when does eBay do nothing? They have a clearly defined policy on this subject right here: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/electronics.html (click on "electronic items" to expand the list).

I tried to sell a couple of 10 meter rigs (HR2510 and an RCI2950) on ebay, they got pulled for violations of their policy, DESPITE the fact that a) I clearly stated in the terms of my auction that I would only sell to someone who holds a valid license. and B) I am in Canada and will sell to Canada only, and what the FCC says means nothing to me. I was somewhat annoyed, but they DO have a policy against it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:49:25 AM by Brian » Logged
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »

Which is the greater threat? Illegal 11m amps, which violate FCC rules, or Obamacare, which violates The Constitution of the United States of America?
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com
VA3DXV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 11:48:05 AM »

Which is the greater threat? Illegal 11m amps, which violate FCC rules, or Obamacare, which violates The Constitution of the United States of America?
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

I'd wager that unfounded fear mongering is a bigger threat than both.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 12:06:49 PM »

By WA4JM
"No licensed ham with half a brain would buy and operate one."

Well then there must be a ton of hams with "half
a brain" out there judging by the number of hams who come onto this and other forums asking about using
these amps on ham bands. And listen to 10m even now and hear all the hams bragging about their CB amps....now that you can get a ham ticket at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box.
When 10m finally opens it's going to be a goat rodeo, boys. A more appropriate descriptor starts with "cluster" but I won't use it....

By W5GNB
"Actually those amplifiers are LEGAL for use on the amateur bands as long as they meet emission specifications and have been "Modified" by you as a FCC Licensed amateur operator. This means you may have to put various filters on the output or perhaps even redesign some parts of it."

Easier said than done. All the "filters" in the world won't do anything about IMD products. And most would have to be "redesigned" from the ground up as the bias schemes don't make them linear at all. How many hams have the knowledge to do this, and how many hams have the test equipment needed to measure whether the finished project meets FCC spurious emission requirements? I submit to you it is not many.
KA6MLE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 12:09:03 PM »

Actually Guys, I was sort of responding to another thread that stated that our 10 meter band was being encroached upon. If they stay on 11 meters I don't really care either. I just figured it was part of the same crowd.

Maybe ignoring is the best policy in the long run, but it is frustrating.

Jim
KC9HVA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »

what's the matter that cb amp you bid on ebay slipped thru your fingers.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 01:43:01 PM »

Yeah get real......... Besides i have better things to do with my spare time than police the net looking for illegal CB junk. Oh, id better get my plastic ham police KC cop badge on!!!! Id care less. Besides i refuse to play KC cop or Ebay narc. This country has much more important things to deal with right now than some joe six pack good buddy selling kickers on Ebay.........
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: