Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless Lan recomendations  (Read 486 times)
KD5VHZ

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2005, 10:24:52 AM »

Although I have an old upgraded Gateway computer in the shack I will be installing a wireless hub so the wife can use her new Laptop around the house.  

I'll probably be buying the hub at a local computer store and would like some recomendations for one that is less prone to interfering with my radios.  It will be way too close to the radios as it is.  

My shack consists of a Yaesu 847 that I use for 6 meter weak signal, Yaesu 8900 for local FM comms, and a Kenwood TR9000 w amp for 2 meter weak signal.

I hate to bring any more interference into the shack than I have to.

Doug KD5VHZ
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 07:32:32 AM »

I think this is one of those situations where you won't know until you try it in your, particular environment.

Dennis KG4RUL
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 08:29:29 AM »

I've had no problem with a Linsys router.  It's only about a foot and a half from my radio.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 08:29:46 AM »

That's LINKSYS
KD5VHZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 10:52:01 PM »

Thanks

Doug KD5VHZ
K8LEA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 11:21:48 AM »

There's very little RF in my office, usually - I only work 2M with HT's - but I'm on my second LinkSys wireless router.  The first one was given to a friend when I upgraded to the faster 802.11g.

The old one seemed to drop a birdie along 450mhz (scanner) with some regularity, but not this one.

My little syster has a D-Link that also works well.

One word of warning.  Channel 6 seems to be the default setting, and some wireless devices won't move of that channel even if you tell them to!

Stu K8LEA
KF6IIU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 02:35:12 PM »

This is an old 802.11b router. Puts out a fair amount of interference, but via the ethernet cables, mostly on 7 mhz. Ferrite chokes and beads on the ethernet cables help.

Most interference from my compuetrs now comes from the ethernet interfaces - I have an old Intel motherboard with a builtin 100BaseT interface and it outs out an ASTOUNDING amount of interference on all bands from 80 to 10 when it has a link. I use a old 10baseT PCI interface instead. You could also use fully shielded ethernet cables if you can find them.
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 08:45:16 AM »

You'll probably find that going wireless will give you lots less interference than the tens or hundreds of feet of RF-spewing antennas you have with a wired network.  Particularly since many wired network cards have crystals in them that operate in the 20 meter band.

I'll ditto the linksys router, I have one and it's quiet, however there were fairly well-documented problems with some of their routers in the past.  I've also had experience with D-Link and Actiontec products.  None of them caused much interference to anything other than my cordless phone, which also operates in the 2.4 Ghz ISM band.

My RCA/Thompson cable modem is a different issue.  It radiates several birdies just from the short jumper that connects it to the router.  USB stuff can sometimes be noisy too.  I have an HP scanner that I must leave turned off when not in use just because of the noise.

You might try taking a portable receiver with you to the computer store just to satisfy yourself that you have bought the quietest product.
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 05:52:27 PM »

I use wireless/wired Linksys G.

I use shielded CAT 5 cables and
bout ferrites on the PS at the
terminal strip and no problems.

73 de Ronnie
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 01:03:33 PM »

I'm using a wireless + wired Netgear router with Ethernet links to the cable modem and the desktop. The laptop in the hamshack uses a wireless Netgear PCMCIA card. No detectable RFI, and operating 100 Watts on various HF bands hasn't caused any problems with the network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: