Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WiFi Monitoring tool  (Read 818 times)
CARL

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2005, 03:28:18 PM »

Hi,

I've started to do some experimentations with wireless network using Linksys 2.4ghz equipments (wrt54gs-router and wet54g-internet bridge) in the ham part of the band (channel 1-6). I'm also using grid antenna 15 dBi.

I need a software to monitor the signal and noise level..etc. Since I am not using a wireless card directly in my laptop I have nothing to measure the signal. All software I've found doesn't work with the bridge or router.

Can you help me please ?

Thanks,

Carl - KG6WTF
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 03:17:07 PM »

Network Stumbler gives the s/n ratio of connections it finds.

It also interfaces with a GPS if you're into War Driving...
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 03:18:47 PM »

oops -- didn't read the part about not having a wireless card in your machine.  It wants to run on the machine where the wireless card is.
YEPSURE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 06:03:33 PM »

In order to do what you want to do you will need a wireless setup in your laptop. Your choices are to use a PCMCIA wireless card or one that uses your USB connection. I also use NetStumbler to monitor local WiFi traffic, and I use a PCMCIA 802.11b/g card that has an external antenna connector, as most times I require the use of a high-gain antenna. These are all things to consider when purchasing this type of setup. But if you desire to monitor your WiFi traffic and "see" various signal strengths you'll definitely need some sort of wireless card and software such as NetStumbler to do this.
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 08:35:27 PM »

Carl, any computer or wifi supplier should also sell "sniffers" that are about the size of a garage remote control, typically $20-40 with a half dozen LEDs on them that light up to show signal strength. Varying quality and not as precise as a laptop with software, but they are out there.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 06:48:31 PM »

hi,

Eeye has several no cost tools to download.

http://www.eeye.com/html/resources/downloads/index.html

73 james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: