Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cb interference  (Read 11085 times)
W3TEZ

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2010, 01:46:06 PM »

well, i have a huge problem. i am only 15 years old, hold a general class license and i live in an area where there are a lot of cb'ers. these guys are out of their minds, have to have 500 watts to talk across the street, and just have illegal 10 meter radio mod for cb, have illegal linear amplifiers and they bleed over all over 10, 11, 12, 15, 17, and a little bit of 20 meters. i have a friend on the other side of town from me and he has a lot of these types of people in his area and he gets interference from them on every amateur radio band. sometimes i can hear these people coming over my headphones for my pc or i hear static noises coming from interference from them. i have complained a few times to the fcc, but not much has been done and the bad guys keep coming back. I have from time to time taken one of the spare cb's i got and have tried warning them about whats going on but they just swear at me and cuss me out and make matters worse. Does anyone have any ideas on what can be done, or ideas about enforcement on cb? hmmm.....?

Thanks-
Ryan-KC2UJG
W3ML

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 06:45:30 PM »

I sent a message to friend and hopefully someone will contact you soon.

John, W3ML
ARRL Indiana Section Manager
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 03:08:10 PM »

Sounds like a bummer of a problem, and I doubt the FCC will intervene.

What rig are you using on HF, and what kind of antennas?

There may be quite a lot you can do to relieve the problem.  Of course operating the "lower bands" (30m and below) would probably help, but even beyond that sometimes using an attenuator or preselector is helpful.

I've "heard" there are lot of high powered illegal CBers around here, but I've never really heard them, other than at the very low end of 10 meters.  If I call CQ on 10m CW with a kilowatt, they seem to disappear.  :-p
KF4SQL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 01:10:06 AM »

what you've got to do is track down and locate these cb'ers yourself,.  get the locations address's  run them threw your counties/ city's  property appraisers office most are on line,.  cross referance the names with searches like anywho.com to try and verify its the same person/s since the cb'er could be a renter.. then start documenting the times / dates of this RF interferance and bleed over is happening.. even document if they make comments of running boosted power/ aka: linear amp doing xxxx watts,.   then get on line go to the fcc's  on line complaint to file.  also log down what bands this cb'er is splattering into,. 10m, 12m,  15m, etc,.  and also state they they are running an illegal over powered cb station,.

I don't know how far you are from them.. but in this area we had a jerk whom had just a few hundered watts,. what I didn't realize was this realy wasn't bleed over.. either his radio or the amp were ossilating across the band spectrums,.  but the ham who was reciveing the splatter real bad was thingking in terms of bleed over,  caused by spurious or harmonics,.  looking back I think is was more of something to do with  Ossilation.. anywas the guy took the amp or what ever it was once he got a notice from the FCC about his over powered station and the fines that he could get,.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 05:26:23 AM »

Ryan - sounds as if you have a couple of different problems here.  To begin with, you have to come to grips with the situation and realize that the FCC is going to do NOTHING about the illegal operation.  It's been going on for several decades all over the country and the FCC doesn't have the manpower or desire to deal with it.  And, unless things have changed, when you report someone to the FCC, they notify the person you complained about of your name and address.  That may not be beneficial to you.

To the technical issues: Forget this term "bleedover" and zero in on what's really happening.  It's possible that their transmitter/amplifier is generating spurious signals on the ham bands, and it's also possible that your receiver is not holding up well to very strong nearby signals that are ONLY on the CB frequencies assigned (but with illegal power).  That might be the case here as you also stated that you were hearing the signals on the headphones of your PC.  And that is YOUR problem, not theirs.  It also tells me that at least one of the offenders is pretty close to you.  When you hear their signals or "splatter" on the ham bands, try inserting some attenuation between your antenna and the receiver and see if that cleans things up.  It might be necessary to use 12-15 dB of attenuation and if that solves the problem, chances are that the strong signals are overloading your receiver and/or producing IMD products that you're hearing as noise.  It's not unusual to have that type of problem in transceivers costing thousands of dollars, and most of the more expensive transceivers include a built-in switched attenuator for this purpose.  

Unless the CBers interfere with a commercial radio or TV service, the chance of getting the problem solved by FCC enforcement of existing CB regulations is zero.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 04:50:21 AM »

Based in the responses you got on the air, I would not recommend you confront any of these bozos yourself, or even do any snooping outside your own home. Unfortunately, most old geezer scofflaws will not take a young person seriously. We already know they are lawbreakers and Philistines, so they may be dangerous too.

I'm not sure the previous statement about their amplified signals on the cb freqs only being your problem, that is, if the cb'er is operating illegally. Once they cross the line into illegal operation they are probably automatically liable.  

I had a cb'er across the street from me a few years ago. I could hear him on my telephone, in my vacuum tube guitar amplifier and his signal interfering with my cable TV, so I understand how annoying this can be.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 06:08:11 AM »

Just to clarify my comment on the interference to your PC headphones being "your problem": The reality is that the illegal transmissions will continue.  The consumer device (in this case your PC and audio card) are supposed to function properly in the presence of the RF signals.  You'd have the same problem if a legally operating station with high power were nearby.  The correct technical solution is to fix the problem of your PC audio setup acting as a radio receiver and you can likely do that with proper application of ferrites and/or bypass capacitors to the PC audio leads.  

If I were in your position, I'd try to fix that problem and minimize the negative effects of the illegal operation as much as possible.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »

Just to clarify my comment on the interference to your PC headphones being "your problem": The reality is that the illegal transmissions will continue.  The consumer device (in this case your PC and audio card) are supposed to function properly in the presence of the RF signals.  You'd have the same problem if a legally operating station with high power were nearby.  The correct technical solution is to fix the problem of your PC audio setup acting as a radio receiver and you can likely do that with proper application of ferrites and/or bypass capacitors to the PC audio leads.  

If I were in your position, I'd try to fix that problem and minimize the negative effects of the illegal operation as much as possible.

Agreed. I see what you mean now.
QBEAMS12

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 06:50:41 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Roll Eyes Roll Eyes hahahahaha the pot callin the kettle black............sorry young fella that you are getting interference...but I wish one ham operator would explain to me without all the B.S.why it is ok for a ham to cuss on 80m or any other freq.,why is it ok for a ham to interfere with my tv and telephone..............and yes I know 95% of electronic equipment is not properly filtered by the manufacturer........And the worse pat of it all 95% of hams who became hams were in fact those same CB'ers that used to run those illegal radios and illegal amplifiers.................somebody please explain that to me....Oh yes I did forget to mention on my way to take my test which I had plan to keep testing until I took that night the test to get my general class ticket.......I stopped to fuel up my vehicle and pulled up next to a HAM.......He looked me square in the eye and said 10-4 goodbuddy........why dont you stop operating on the criminal band and join the real radio operators..............Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I thought to myself why did he do that? so he's better than me because he has a legal document to operate a radio? naaaaaaaaaaaaa no thanks!! I dont cuss, dont swear ,I operate my rig with the utmost respectto others and when I hear the foul lingo I turn the nob all the way to the left......Dont get me wrong I'm not defending the bad guys in your area that are interfereing but just dont get the wrong idea about the cb world.thanks and have a nice day Wink Wink Wink
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 10:23:44 PM »

If I call CQ on 10m CW with a kilowatt, they seem to disappear.  :-p

I read where one ham deals with CB "freebanders" infringing on 10 meters by using CW! It seems that a trucking company is behind the "expanded" CB usage in his area.

I'm using a 1kw rated CB firestick clone on 10 meters with an antenna tuner, purchased at a good price, so some of the CB stuff built for grossly overpowered CB use can be used by hams.

Switching to a beam will help with front end overload on you ham rig. Yes, they're pricey, but there's little you can do for your rig's abilities to keep working with interference. It sounds like it's time to add ferrites to the PC headphones. Also, makes sure you have a good ground system for your rig.
QBEAMS12

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 10:30:07 AM »

If I call CQ on 10m CW with a kilowatt, they seem to disappear.  :-p

I read where one ham deals with CB "freebanders" infringing on 10 meters by using CW! It seems that a trucking company is behind the "expanded" CB usage in his area.

I'm using a 1kw rated CB firestick clone on 10 meters with an antenna tuner, purchased at a good price, so some of the CB stuff built for grossly overpowered CB use can be used by hams.

Switching to a beam will help with front end overload on you ham rig. Yes, they're pricey, but there's little you can do for your rig's abilities to keep working with interference. It sounds like it's time to add ferrites to the PC headphones. Also, makes sure you have a good ground system for your rig.
Just what I thought.......No dispute.............
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 03:15:54 PM »

Huh It's NOT just CBERS using & selling this crappy gear.Listen on 10 meters during most any opening & you will hear PLENTY of those ILLEGAL amplifiers & 10/11 meter radios.I heard a ham with a 5 call in Texas a couple of evenings ago during a 10 meter opening bragging about his Uniden HR-2510 & his D & A MAVERICK amplifier(BOTH which are ILLEGAL for use in the USA on ANY band).He kept giving a call sign but would say it so fast I could NOT copy what he was saying.PLENTY of our hams are using & selling these radios & amplifiers on this web site as well as others & then they complain about wide signals on the bands.Check the ads here,QRZ.com,Ebay(NOT allowed on QTH.com)& see how many of these radios(Ranger,Uniden,Connex,Superstar,ect & amplifiers(D & A,Palomar,Siltronix,Texas Star,ect)you see listed by your fellow hams who are contributing to the problem.These sites are also contributing to the problem by allowing these items too be listed knowing they are ILLEGAL for USE or SALE in the USA.If they are for outside the USA then that's a different story.It appears we as hams must police our own since the FCC could care less about the ham bands or us for that matter & there are BAD apples in EVERY bunch! The FCC is NOT coming to the rescue & if you think they are just listen to 14.275.00 24/7 & see what the FCC will do about ILLEGAL operations on the ham bands which has been going on for a LONG time much less 11 meters. Sad

Clayton
W4KVW
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 08:33:21 PM »

So let me try to understand this. As licensed hams, we are supposed to be allowed to experiment and build radios from bits of wire and discarded parts, but we cant use modified CB radios to operate on 10m? If that is the case, we should only be allowed to use "type accepted" radios made exclusively for amateur use. No more converted military, commercial or broadcast radios allowed. I would have no problem using a new, stock RCI Ranger 2950 or 2970. The problem is that the cbers take these radios to hill-billy hack shops and they have them clip the modulation limiters in them and of course, expand the frequency range. I personally use an old Clear Channel AR-3500 mobile rig on 10m. I get excellent signal and audio reports on it with the modulation limiter still in place. Until the FCC decides to really enforce the law, whining about the radios that the interlopers are using is pointless. They will get on the air, one way or another. Remember, its not illegal to purchase and own legit ham radio gear. Its only illegal to transmit on it if you are not licensed (if the FCC would bother to enforce it...).
KU2US

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 05:41:34 AM »

My friend, I feel your pain. I am NOT suggesting that you do this because it is not a good thing to do, and illegal but, when I was younger, and before I became a ham, I also was a legal 5 watt CB'r.  There were two CB stations working big power and they destroyed all of the other CB'ers in the area. We found out where they were by driving around in our cars using signal strength on our "S" meters untill we came upon the offenders and their big CB antenna's, all the while they were broadcasting. We went back and sent both of them a nice letter. They replied with some not to very nice words. SO, the next evening while they were not transmitting, we went to their QTH & their coax cables hanging down the side of their houses, and inserted a small sewing pin thru the coax. This shorted the braid to the center conductor. Two hours later to the second, they came on the air and POOF! bye bye CB finals, bye bye problem. Please dont do this, but when one becomes frustrated with the FCC, one may do something quite drastic Smiley  We were kids then, and I never would do this again. Everyone on this thread has good suggestions to follow. I thought a little humor would suffice here.
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 08:33:03 AM »

My friend, I feel your pain. I am NOT suggesting that you do this because it is not a good thing to do, and illegal but, when I was younger, and before I became a ham, I also was a legal 5 watt CB'r.  There were two CB stations working big power and they destroyed all of the other CB'ers in the area. We found out where they were by driving around in our cars using signal strength on our "S" meters untill we came upon the offenders and their big CB antenna's, all the while they were broadcasting. We went back and sent both of them a nice letter. They replied with some not to very nice words. SO, the next evening while they were not transmitting, we went to their QTH & their coax cables hanging down the side of their houses, and inserted a small sewing pin thru the coax. This shorted the braid to the center conductor. Two hours later to the second, they came on the air and POOF! bye bye CB finals, bye bye problem. Please dont do this, but when one becomes frustrated with the FCC, one may do something quite drastic Smiley  We were kids then, and I never would do this again. Everyone on this thread has good suggestions to follow. I thought a little humor would suffice here.

Pinning a coax cable is not drastic. Hooking a log chain to a tower and pulling it down was drastic LOL (I remember the local CB wars during the 70's here...)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:10:12 AM by Richard » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: